I had a close encounter with a basalt wall and snapped off the hose to my primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the original poster,

While your setup is fairly common, a 70-90° fitting at the regulator. Your demands for it to be fixed to the hose are not. I see 2 possible scenarios. Either there is a fitting as linked to above attached to a normal hose. You just don't see the joint and think it is part of the hose. The other is the regulator has the fitting as part of the regulator design (I have a Sherwood that is this way) and the hose attaches to the angled inlet. At this point you don't realize the correct disassembly point to remove the hose from the regulator and are trying to find a hose with a tiny bit of your old regulator attached.

We cannot help any further until you post a picture of this fixed 90° that nobody can figure out. Simply put, post a picture, we will figure it out and give you a solution to the problem. No picture, no solution.

I see he's been a member here for 8 years, surely he's been diving long enough to know what he's looking at. I'm sure he'll clear it up when he eventually returns.

To the original poster,

While your setup is fairly common, a 70-90° fitting at the regulator. Your demands for it to be fixed to the hose are not. I see 2 possible scenarios. Either there is a fitting as linked to above attached to a normal hose. You just don't see the joint and think it is part of the hose. The other is the regulator has the fitting as part of the regulator design (I have a Sherwood that is this way) and the hose attaches to the angled inlet. At this point you don't realize the correct disassembly point to remove the hose from the regulator and are trying to find a hose with a tiny bit of your old regulator attached.

We cannot help any further until you post a picture of this fixed 90° that nobody can figure out. Simply put, post a picture, we will figure it out and give you a solution to the problem. No picture, no solution.
And you are correct sir. . . I missed the seam between the 90o fitting and the LP hose. Apologies for any waste of bandwidth I have caused. A couple of wrenches and only a moderate bit of swearing and the angle adapter is free and ready to join the new hose

And you are correct sir. . . I missed the seam between the 90o fitting and the LP hose. Apologies for any waste of bandwidth I have caused. A couple of wrenches and only a moderate bit of swearing and the angle adapter is free and ready to join the new hose

Called it in post #8.

Congrats on getting it sorted.

-Z

Now you've sorted out the replacement hose, I'm keen to hear how it sheared off o_O
Like most accidents, a chain of events. Unfamiliar dive site (Dog Beach on the big island, Hawaii), 3+ ft swells, I misjudged the entrance, misjudged how much the swell was pushing me into the rocks, and finally my Hollis F2’s are crap for power so I couldn’t get away

I’m now in the market for some better fins, as for the balance, lessons learned on the mental mistakes

Like most accidents, a chain of events. Unfamiliar dive site (Dog Beach on the big island, Hawaii), 3+ ft swells, I misjudged the entrance, misjudged how much the swell was pushing me into the rocks, and finally my Hollis F2’s are crap for power so I couldn’t get away

I’m now in the market for some better fins, as for the balance, lessons learned on the mental mistakes

Very lucky escape!

There was a double fatality at Jervis Bay NSW some years ago, outside the bay are some deep overhangs like caves along limestone cliffs that make a spectacular dive when the ocean is dead flat... lots of Cuttlefish and Wobbegong Sharks.
Otherwise you get the full force of any swell smashing directly in.

Two divers entered the caves on a rising swell, with their boat anchored outside...
By the time the dive finished the swell was really pounding and washed both hapless divers through a narrow area (acting as a venturi) ripping ALL the hoses from their regulators.

I've had very good results with Mares Avanti Quattro fins, esp the full foot version worn with a 1.5mm neoprene sock for warm water diving. Lots of power!
Avanti Quattro +

Ouch! I guess you could consider yourself lucky that you got away with just a broken hose.

Jet fins.

Safe diving.

My thoughts exactly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom