Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mind seeing white sharks as long as I see them before they see me. The other sharks seem to leave me alone and I am ok if they come by and say hello without an invite.
Each dive section of Florida seems to have it's own specialty depending on what we want to "see" and Jupiter certainly has way more sharks than all the other dive locations. Now if we could just get a weather window to go see them!!.

This is awesome. Great way to dive in marginal conditions. I need to dive with PV at some point soon. Heard nothing but good things.

Narcosis & Walkers are also great Palm Beach boats that will do the same thing when it’s a bit rough. PV doesn’t allow hunting other than lionfish so keep that in mind.

Is Emerald Charters' three tank dive the best of the bunch?

Been awhile for me; I dove with Jupiter Dive Center in 2014 (10 dives) and Emerald Charters in 2017 (7 dives). I really enjoyed both trips and was happy with both operations, but the experiences were so different it was like comparing trips to 2 different dive destinations. With JDC, there was more drift diving with the current except at the end of the Zion Wreck Trek, when he hung around the Esso Bonaire wreck, or finning around the MG-111 site. So we tended to cover more ground.

With Emerald Charters, we were 'there for a show,' a shark show. Seeing a wreck or some Goliath grouper was nice, but that's not what we headed out to do.

In 10 dives with JDS, I saw nurse and reef sharks, and 1 larger shark at a distance that was likely a black-tip reef shark (or possibly a sandbar shark). In 7 dives with EC, I saw 3 different tiger sharks, 2 silky sharks (an unseasonal surprise), scads of lemon sharks, several bull sharks, nurse sharks...and much closer.

I don't think there was a 'best,' as it was a very 'apples to oranges' comparison, and it depends on what you want.

I recommend people get some more benign shark diving experience (e.g.: sand tigers out of North Carolina, or Jupiter's lemons) before deliberately getting in the water on fed dives where tiger sharks are likely. Mainly because it's a good idea to know how someone handles fairly large shark encounters in close quarters with more 'benign' species first. Just my opinion.

Remember always it is a forecast and the weather does strange things sometimes. I have had the forecast be 5-6 foot for the next day with a possibility the trip would be canceled and the next morning it ended up being barely a 1 foot chop. I have also seen a great forecast and the trip ended up being canceled in the morning because the wind unexpectedly picked up overnight and the seats were 6-7 foot. In the WPB area you can also almost always dive the Blue Heron Bridge if the tides line up, early mornings during the week are usually not too busy. You can get the tide chart and sponsored night dive schedules from both Pura Vida Divers and Force-E.

Jupiter wind and weather looks promising for tomorrow right now . BHB would be my backup plan if I could find somebody to go with me should my boat outing get blown out. I will be bringing the necessary gear for both including 2 al80 tanks of air if I have to do the bridge.

Jupiter wind and weather looks promising for tomorrow right now . BHB would be my backup plan if I could find somebody to go with me should my boat outing get blown out. I will be bringing the necessary gear for both including 2 al80 tanks of air if I have to do the bridge.

Good luck! Good backup plan. Also you only need one tank for the bridge. You do one long dive vs two dives.

Good luck! Good backup plan. Also you only need one tank for the bridge. You do one long dive vs two dives.
Yeah I know the other tank would be for a buddy who might need one kind of a thank you if they would dive with me.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom