Diving in Colombia - San Andres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EssA

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi ! I'm looking into a trip to Colombia and would like to do a week of diving. Any reviews of the diving quality in San Andres ? Does it compare to Roatan for example ? Thank you !!!

I have dived in San Andres a few times, in fact my first dive (Discovery) was there. I thought it was awesome until I went to Providencia and after that experience my opinion of San Andres went down a bit.

I think it's on par with Roatan but not as good as Providencia. All my dives in San Andres were with the DC next to the Sunrise Hotel and the diving was ok. However, my last time there I chose a different dive center on the other side of the island (I think it was called Dive San Andres) and it was a lot lot better.

Is Colombia a reasonable place to think about now? Does not seem like it.

We have close family that lives in Colombia so we keep tabs on matters. Flights are virtually non-existent and the Rona is blooming there now. Might not be the easiest time to go. To San Andres and/or Providencia, even harder.

Possible? Sure.

Probable? Sketchy.

Is Colombia a reasonable place to think about now? Does not seem like it.
International flights to Colombia supposedly open in the first week of September but I seriously doubt it.

I've been reading that the government is being beyond strict. Some are feeling as if they are jailed. That said, the complaints were from expats. I don't know if the locals feel a similar chafing.

I've been reading that the government is being beyond strict. Some are feeling as if they are jailed. That said, the complaints were from expats. I don't know if the locals feel a similar chafing.

Here in Colombia people don’t bitch and moan about having to wear masks and it hasn’t become a political thing like back in the States. That being said the restrictions are having a serious toll on those who cannot work because of the restrictions. I live in a very nice part of Bogota and everyone uses masks and respects social distancing. But in the poor sections where people are a lot less educated they apparently don’t follow the rules as much.

There are many here who act as if it’s the end of the world and all freedoms if they’re asked to wear a mask!

Hello I am looking at heading to San Andres at the end of March for my wife and I's 30th anniversary. My wife does not dive but likes to snorkel and is burned out on Cozumel where I have done about 1K dives in the last 9 years. I would welcome any suggestions on accommodations, dive shops and where to snorkel. I would like to find a dive shop that allows me to hunt lion fish and allows me some freedom to range while hunting.

Hello I am looking at heading to San Andres at the end of March for my wife and I's 30th anniversary. My wife does not dive but likes to snorkel and is burned out on Cozumel where I have done about 1K dives in the last 9 years. I would welcome any suggestions on accommodations, dive shops and where to snorkel. I would like to find a dive shop that allows me to hunt lion fish and allows me some freedom to range while hunting.
Hi. For San Andres I really recommend Scuba San Andres. Good guys and they also have some rooms in their dove center. I have dives on two separate occasions with them and was always satisfied. Ok didn’t realize they had rooms until I went there the last time (in August) but I already had a place where I was staying. I didn’t stay there but I osa by the rooms and they seemed nice.

I really recommend you don’t go with a dove center near downtown like for example the one located by the Sunrise Hotel. Nice people but they dive near the DC and from what I’ve been able to figure out the best dove sites are on the other side of the island.

You can contact Scuba San Andres at +57 311 2575511

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom