PALAU DIVING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blackcrusader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Luckily I live in Taiwan and Palau may open up a travel bubble with Taiwan. If so I may go in 2021 if the travel bubble is approved and I won't need to quarantine in either country.

There are direct flights which take around 5 hours.

I contacted Fish and Fins in Palau and plan doing some more research. Just wondering if anyone here has dived in Palau. I will stay onshore and probably stay for 2 or maybe 3 weeks as I would like to get in around 45 - 50 dives...Fish and Fins allow unlimited times on dives on their house reef so some night dives and day dives could be good fun there.

Palau sees Taiwan as only country safe enough to form travel bubble with | Taiwan News | 2020/12/30

QUOTE="Dan, post: 8188179, member: 477433"] We didn’t see any wreck and spent time mostly in the south. I’m thinking of coming back in the future & stay in a dive resort & do more diving in the central part of Palau. German Channel was like a zoo. When I was watching the shark & manta cleaning, a group of Korean just dropped behind us. What a zoo. LOL. The traffic in downtown Koror is not bad. Compare to Kuta beach in Bali, it’s like walk in the park. [/QUOTE]

A good read thanks. If Palau does open up a Taiwan bubble I would be staying on land. There would be very few people there so I could get lucky and see some snapper spawning and the Manta cleaning without the hordes of other divers there. Looking at booking.com and airbnb and you can find some lower prices than before. Who knows what the best situation will be.

Okinawa maybe another option for me in 2021 as well and it's much closer only 80 minutes flight time.

Most dive sites are miles away from Koror.
A very uncomfortable and expensive day trip to Peleliu if the operator is willing to arrange one for a small party.
LoB is my recommendation.

Okinawa may be better.

Hi
Yes dive sites are far from Koror but boats are fast and the landscape is beautiful. You have a nice relaxing lunch on an island also :)
Some sites are really a bit busy but in this period of time not many people may be there...
I normally avoid big operations but Fish and Fins is really good and efficient. Their house reef is only good for the mandarin fish which you can even see from the bar!
If you stay in town or in a hotel not far from the "center", you can also try different restaurants.
I think regarding the situation we are in and your living in TW, Palau is a good option...any way, you are lucky :) :)

I dove with Palau Dive Adventures (We offer small, flexible flawlessly organized dive adventures in Palau!) when I was there and thought they were a fantastic operation. They went places the liveaboards didn't and I loved the boat rides through some wonderful scenery. I also like land-based operations for much of my international diving since I want to get a taste of the local culture.

Back
Top Bottom