Best Camera for a New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want stunning pictures, then pass on the GP...Olympus is my next expense....ouch.

Honestly, you are such a new diver.....and a camera is such a huge distraction to your buddy skills, your SPG, your depth, your navigation, your body position in the water vis-a-vis the reef, your situational awareness....
Without seeing you dive first, I'm hard-pressed to recommend ANY camera.

^^^^^ this

Get comfortable, get your bouyancy down first then add distractions. We are not saying this to be mean we are saying it because long term you will be happier.

Or hire a DM that's versed in underwater photography...

Olympus TG-x cameras are brilliant, quite a few friends (and me) own them. We all get fantastic marco shots, even better than some people we know who have super expensive SLR setups. You need a strobe, or at least a very good light. The wide angle stuff is not as good, but adequate.

However, as others have pointed out, do not get until you have a lot more experience.

I agree with the other comments here that you first need to get more experience as a diver before you add a distraction. Good buoyancy control and situational awareness is very important to take pictures. You want to stay off the reef, don't touch anything, don't kick up sand, don't kick a nearby diver, all while trying to maintain a steady position to capture your shot. It's not that easy and takes a lot of practice.
Having said that, I have a TG-6 with the housing and I love the camera. I am not a pro nor do I want to be, and this camera takes really good pictures and video. Have fun!!

Wow, this got way more traction than I expected! I completely understand what you guys are saying, and I'm not trying to become a photographer over a competent diver, if nothing else for my and my dive buddy's safety.

My buoyancy control is pretty good, not amazing, but pretty good. I felt like while I was recording an octopus hunting during the night dive, it forced me to pay attention to my buoyancy and position relative to the octopus. I was recording from above and at an angle, and as it moved, I had to angle my body with fins above my head next to a fairly steep part of the reef. I recorded for 2 minutes. I will also say in reference to the awareness of my dive buddy and the divemaster, it was night, so I could see their lights out of the corner of my eye or just by glancing over, which also allowed me to see what else was around. So, maybe it was a fluke and kind of subjective to the situation. But aside form the light creating reflections of every tiny animal, particle, and plankton, the video is REALLY awesome to see.

@tursiops I only have a basic knowledge of photography, through my father who took a bunch of classes and worked for a newspaper for a few years, he would be my guide as far as shutter speed and aperture. I also don’t want to worry about those things right now, I just want to be able to get a couple great pics (the last time I took macros of flowers, I got 20 prints from 1500 pics) that I can print of and hang on the wall. This is why I’m looking for something semi-basic. If I decide I want to get into it a lot more down the road, I would get a DSLR and housing and accessories.

+1 on getting your buoyancy down. learn how to back up too, as many times you might find yourself in a position this helps.

the TG is popular for many reasons, price/value is one. Check out the videos on Backscatter to learn the ins and outs. Their packages are pretty good. You will absolutely want to get one of not two external flash’s. Flash will cost more than the camera but can move with you if you decide to upgrade your camera later.

Honestly, you are such a new diver.....and a camera is such a huge distraction to your buddy skills, your SPG, your depth, your navigation, your body position in the water vis-a-vis the reef, your situational awareness....
Without seeing you dive first, I'm hard-pressed to recommend ANY camera.

I flooded recently my TG5 and I am planning to buy a TG6.
However, I also bought a drysuit recently and am avoiding the task load of a camera until my overall skills improve to my wetsuit level.

P.S.: When I started diving, I ignored the advice of my fellow local divers to skip the camera for a bit. In hindsight, I consider it a mistake.

Honestly, you are such a new diver.....and a camera is such a huge distraction to your buddy skills, your SPG, your depth, your navigation, your body position in the water vis-a-vis the reef, your situational awareness.... Without seeing you dive first, I'm hard-pressed to recommend ANY camera.

I used a go pro for years before I got a TG6. I've been diving since January 1986.

The TG6 will require lots of learning and changing settings on dives although you can save two presets. Anytime you want to take good photos or video you need to plan 5 minutes even when you think you only need 1. Time flies when you are distracted. If you have a dedicated dive buddy that acts as a spotter then watches over you maybe a good thing. You need to spend several hours on land practicing macro shots then at shallow depth even snorkeling where you will have time constraints as you need to breathe.

I was on a dive when a lass decided to start viewing her photos underwater. She ended up drifting down into the depths totally absorbed with her camera while the instructor guide was banging on his tank to get her attention. Finally she looks around and realizes she is probably 15m deeper than the other divers. As others have said concentrate on your diving first as many new divers get all excited and have incidents because they get distracted.

Apart from that I have my own TG6 and two Big Blue VL4200P video lights mounted on my own DIY camera tray with my go pro in the dry port.

PS to get some shots you are really going to need excellent buoyancy control and trim for the conditions you are in. This sea horse taken at 26m depth. I don't use a pointy stick to maintain control or need to hold onto anything except my camera platform nor touch the sand to get this shot. Takes lots of patience and time.
I don't chase the shot this one was pure chance we saw some sea horses going from a wreck back to a reef wall.

A SEA HORSE HEAD.JPG

TG6 & BIG BLUE VL4200P.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom