Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... If Jupiter is closed, is Key Largo likely to be closed as well?
It's actually a very good question since southern Florida "curves" to the hard west the farther south you go and it has a HUGE effect on Go/NoGo diving. In addition, many times Key Largo is protected by the Bahama's which slow strong east winds.

When the winds are blowing moderately hard from a north wind big storm just rolling off the coast of South Carolina, Jupiter get's hit first and it's NoGo. But due to the way FLA "Bends" to the west as you get closer to KL, they can still be diving.

But the difference is in wave heights and diver experience. IMHO, Key Largo mostly is very relaxing, gentle and not very deep with beautiful corals and colorful fans. Many (not all) KL boats will cancel at 3 footers.. Jupiter is big animals, 85-95 deep, enough sharks, eels and lionfish that can hurt, and lots of boats are running at 4-6ft with a few doing 7 footers if they can get out the inlet.

So in summary, many times Key Largo will be diving, when Jupiter is blown out. But KL cancels faster than Jupiter boats who say "Suck-it-up-buttercup, we're diving". Many many vacation divers will get a hotel in WPB and if blown out here, pack up, make the 2hr run in the morning to Key Largo if weather and boats are open. "Good Operators" will cancel by 6pm the night before. I'm pissed if I show up to the dock @8 and they cancel at the boat then.

PS. I would never make a location decision based on weather. I always make a location decision based on "WHAT" I want to see underwater (ie we don't have the Spiegel Grove nor Elk horn coral in Jupiter and they don't have Tiger Sharks in KL)

It's actually a very good question since southern Florida "curves" to the hard west the farther south you go and it has a HUGE effect on Go/NoGo diving. In addition, many times Key Largo is protected by the Bahama's which slow strong east winds.

When the winds are blowing moderately hard from a north wind big storm just rolling off the coast of South Carolina, Jupiter get's hit first and it's NoGo. But due to the way FLA "Bends" to the west as you get closer to KL, they can still be diving.

But the difference is in wave heights and diver experience. IMHO, Key Largo mostly is very relaxing, gentle and not very deep with beautiful corals and colorful fans. Many (not all) KL boats will cancel at 3 footers.. Jupiter is big animals, 85-95 deep, enough sharks, eels and lionfish that can hurt, and lots of boats are running at 4-6ft with a few doing 7 footers if they can get out the inlet.

So in summary, many times Key Largo will be diving, when Jupiter is blown out. But KL cancels faster than Jupiter boats who say "Suck-it-up-buttercup, we're diving". Many many vacation divers will get a hotel in WPB and if blown out here, pack up, make the 2hr run in the morning to Key Largo if weather and boats are open. "Good Operators" will cancel by 6pm the night before. I'm pissed if I show up to the dock @8 and they cancel at the boat then.

PS. I would never make a location decision based on weather. I always make a location decision based on "WHAT" I want to see underwater (ie we don't have the Spiegel Grove nor Elk horn coral in Jupiter and they don't have Tiger Sharks in KL)

Great answer (along with @CosbySweater). My dilemma is that my buddy and I want to dive. We mostly want to dive with Sharks at Jupiter, but will be disappointed if we get blown out after flying into FL. I'm wondering if it's worth it to make the plane reservations to FLL and then wait to book Airbnb and diving until a week before arrival. I fly in from ATL (And, no, I'm not driving nine-plus hours). My buddy is flying in from Arkansas. Springs diving has no interest for me.

... "Good Operators" will cancel by 6pm the night before. I'm pissed if I show up to the dock @8 and they cancel at the boat then...

However...there's something to be said for checking the conditions in the morning. I am able to easily swing by the Boynton Beach inlet in the morning, as are the boat captains. If it is borderline, a good look may swing it one way or the other. I'm only 3 miles from Boynton Harbor Marina, I do not mind getting up, checking the inlet, and heading to the marina for a decision.

Of course, I went out on this day in 2019, we went out about two hours before this boat Big wave throws dive boat captain overboard - Florida Our exit from the inlet was not smooth, but not terrible. Coming back in, at a little after noon, was frightening.

... We mostly want to dive with Sharks at Jupiter,
So that answers your most important question of "WHAT" you both want to see.

... then wait to book Airbnb and diving until a week before arrival....
This is just my 2 cent suggestion base on your post.

I would not book an Airbnb cause cancelling is costly and hurts your rating there. Instead I would book the North Palm Beach Super 8 hotel which allows no charge cancellations (not the pay in advance special, read fine print). It's a quick 25 mins daily to Jupiter, they serve a light breakfast, it's clean, a warm pool, & next to the police station so safe. Lot of waterfront dinner restaurants very close too. It's also 10 mins from the WPB boats and Blue Heron Bridge. If you're rich, book the Singer Island Marriott on the beach.

If Jupiter turns cruddy, then pack up and jump to Key Largo with no charge because like @scubadada said, you'll probably know 48hrs in advance with our wave forecasts. Then do your pre-planning & print it out on who you want to dive with in KL and where to stay. And if all Florida is blown out (it happens) then go do 3 things:

* Visit the FPL manatee station in WPB and see 200 floating cows.
* Get in your car and actually drive it thru a zoo at Lion Country Safari west of of WPB
* Climb the Jupiter Lighthouse and take a selfie

This is just my 2 cent suggestion base on your post.

I would not book an Airbnb cause cancelling is costly and hurts your rating there. Instead I would book the North Palm Beach Super 8 hotel which allows no charge cancellations (not the pay in advance special, read fine print). It's a quick 25 mins daily to Jupiter, they serve a light breakfast, it's clean, a warm pool, & next to the police station so safe. Lot of waterfront dinner restaurants very close too. It's also 10 mins from the WPB boats and Blue Heron Bridge. If you're rich, book the Singer Island Marriott on the beach.

If Jupiter turns cruddy, then pack up and jump to Key Largo with no charge because like @scubadada said, you'll probably know 48hrs in advance with our wave forecasts. Then do your pre-planning & print it out on who you want to dive with in KL and where to stay. And if all Florida is blown out (it happens) then go do 3 things:

* Visit the FPL manatee station in WPB and see 200 floating cows.
* Get in your car and actually drive it thru a zoo at Lion Country Safari west of of WPB
* Climb the Jupiter Lighthouse and take a selfie
I've not seen better advice. If you can dive in SE FL, great, if not, options

Sharks are the preference, but being underwater is the main goal.

I would not book an Airbnb cause cancelling is costly and hurts your rating there.

Shouldn't I be able to predict the weather with some certainty within a week of arrival? I know there's some risk, but if it's really iffy for Jupiter, then I can book in Ft. Lauderdale. I just prefer Airbnb for an entire place with a kitchen, and not eating out all the time.

Thanks for the advice.

FANTASTIC summery @Johnoly!!!

Sharks are the preference, but being underwater is the main goal.

Shouldn't I be able to predict the weather with some certainty within a week of arrival? I know there's some risk, but if it's really iffy for Jupiter, then I can book in Ft. Lauderdale. I just prefer Airbnb for an entire place with a kitchen, and not eating out all the time.

Thanks for the advice.

A week out you’re looking at 50-60% confidence in the forecast at best. 3-4 days out you start to get to 70-80% accurate.

Shouldn't I be able to predict the weather with some certainty within a week of arrival?
Jan & Feb is winter. The best waves we get in Jup at 2-3's, we don't get 1's except for maybe 2 hours. What you are really trying to AVOID is 4-6's and those happen on either side of that sweet spot single day of 2-3's. If this was summer, it would be flat for 2 weeks straight, but not winter time.
I agree with @JimBlay , I wouldn't lose deposit/prepaid money at beyond 4 days, our forecast changes just enough to go from 2-3's into 5-7's over nite cause the wave model was broken and just updated.

I just prefer Airbnb .
I like Airbnb's also, but you have almost zero flexibility and can't leave on a couple of hours notice. Remember also that it's not just weather that cancel's........It's also the captain who only had 2 people booked with your group of 2 and he's not in the mood to get beat up in 4-6's and there's only a coin jar rather than a tip jar waiting for his crew back at the dock return.

and there's only a coin jar rather than a tip jar waiting for his crew back at the dock return.

Speaking of tips, what is a common tip per dive?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom