How fast do you swim in the cave?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely had some tunnel vision going on. I wasn’t narced.

I did the week long IANTD CCR cave course. I had Joe Dituri and Doug Ebersole as my instructors.

This is one of the issues I have with those zero to hero cave courses. People don't learn how to actually cave dive until they're out of class for a while. In my opinion the proper way to do it is take the first part (whatever that's labeled based on your certifying org), then take those skills and go out and enjoy diving without someone up your rear about to give you drills. Learn how to read the cave, learn how to dive in a team, learn how to enjoy it, and just learn the intricacies of what you were taught in class. Then take the next course and keep building. I see so many people that take zero to hero courses that don't have a good grasp on basic skills because all of their experience is in class, and their post class learning curve is really steep. Good on you for having the skills to pass a zero to hero ccr cave course. Alot of people can't pass them. No offense to Joe and Dr. Ebersole, but the fact that instructors are willing to do zero to hero ccr cave courses scares the hell out of me. The practice should be banned by agencies in my opinion. I'm sure my comments are controversial, but I think alot of well respected cave divers will agree.
None of that is meant to detract from your accomplishment in class.

No offense taken. No worries there, 8 years in the Navy on submarines and you can’t offend me!!

Unfortunately the training has been modified, there is no apprentice cave or intro cave at the CCR level. If my instructor had told me he preferred I do intro in OC, I’d have done it. But for IANTD and NSS/CDS there’s only one path for CCR.

Pace depends on who your with, dont leave them behind, dont let them leave you behind. Dont overthink this...

Missing/wrong turn at the T would worry me more than anything. Thats a pretty big navigational error 60min from ether entrance....

TDI has both cavern and intro to cave levels.

PS, pretty sure I saw your group while doing my full cave ccr last weekend at peacock

edit, even with my limited experience, oc divers tend to be more 'on a mission' to get somewhere and back vs ccr where we would take our time and see the sights

No offense taken. No worries there, 8 years in the Navy on submarines and you can’t offend me!!

Unfortunately the training has been modified, there is no apprentice cave or intro cave at the CCR level. If my instructor had told me he preferred I do intro in OC, I’d have done it. But for IANTD and NSS/CDS there’s only one path for CCR.

You can only do zero to hero cave CCR with IANTD now? That's really scary

I would imagine that can be easily changed under the CDS. Though I wouldn't be surprised if instructors would simply prefer you do Apprentice OC.

@Capt Jim Wyatt
@kensuf
tagging as they are on the training committee for their input on CCR cave steps.

Pace depends on who your with, dont leave them behind, dont let them leave you behind. Dont overthink this...

Missing/wrong turn at the T would worry me more than anything. Thats a pretty big navigational error 60min from ether entrance....

TDI has both cavern and intro to cave levels.

PS, pretty sure I saw your group while doing my full cave ccr last weekend at peacock

edit, even with my limited experience, oc divers tend to be more 'on a mission' to get somewhere and back vs ccr where we would take our time and see the sights

Missing the turn was a huge error. 100% agree. Pretty soon after we took the wrong turn we came up in Olson Sink and from there I recognized my way out. I knew we had screwed up but I also knew the right way to fix it was to continue on out the Olson tunnel and talk about it in the sunshine after we surfaced. Honestly I don’t think anyone would criticize that decision in good faith.

I wasn’t down last weekend but I definitely need to get down very soon. I really want to get down at least once a month if I can. I just need more CCR buddies!!

Missing the turn was a huge error. 100% agree. Pretty soon after we took the wrong turn we came up in Olson Sink and from there I recognized my way out. I knew we had screwed up but I also knew the right way to fix it was to continue on out the Olson tunnel and talk about it in the sunshine after we surfaced. Honestly I don’t think anyone would criticize that decision in good faith.

I wasn’t down last weekend but I definitely need to get down very soon. I really want to get down at least once a month if I can. I just need more CCR buddies!!
Others (your instructor perhaps) may disagree, but you first 100 cave dives shouldn't really be anything you couldn't accomplish with a OC buddy on backmount or backmount with a stage. Would focus on getting in dives in independent of what you're using. 2xAL80 is going to be limiting factor more often than your buddy gas is (ignoring lots of jumping around to different sections of cave on your exit, and even that is more nav decisions than you need to be making at this point).

You can only do zero to hero cave CCR with IANTD now? That's really scary

I’ve had the discussion with multiple instructors and Joe about it. The standards are what they are and it’s not the fault of the instructor for following standards. Joe was adamant about 2 things at the end of my course - first he was comfortable signing me off and that I wasn’t going to start doing really dumb things like trying to swim (or scooter!!) to the Henkel or doing Eagles Nest, and second that I do need to lose the gut. I’m down 35 pounds or so since my class and working on more. I haven’t intentionally done anything dumb like hop in a cave with a scooter or go solo. I have actually declined 2 dives to caves where I did not feel comfortable going at my current skill level, and in hindsight I feel I made the right decision on both of them. I’d rather sit it out than do something stupid. I’ll be sticking to a slow progression in caves, even if it means doing Peacock and Ginnie and Little River a bunch of times while I build up my comfort level. My thought process is that the caves will be there longer than I’m diving, so I can wait to do the big ones until I’m ready and am with the appropriate buddies.

This is one of the issues I have with those zero to hero cave courses. People don't learn how to actually cave dive until they're out of class for a while. In my opinion the proper way to do it is take the first part (whatever that's labeled based on your certifying org), then take those skills and go out and enjoy diving without someone up your rear about to give you drills. Learn how to read the cave, learn how to dive in a team, learn how to enjoy it, and just learn the intricacies of what you were taught in class. Then take the next course and keep building. I see so many people that take zero to hero courses that don't have a good grasp on basic skills because all of their experience is in class, and their post class learning curve is really steep. Good on you for having the skills to pass a zero to hero ccr cave course. Alot of people can't pass them. No offense to Joe and Dr. Ebersole, but the fact that instructors are willing to do zero to hero ccr cave courses scares the hell out of me. The practice should be banned by agencies in my opinion. I'm sure my comments are controversial, but I think alot of well respected cave divers will agree.
None of that is meant to detract from your accomplishment in class.

Reading this is looks like hroark is correct. I can't think of anyone that has an intro to cave CCR course.

CCR Cave Diver - NSS-CDS Training Program

The suggestion of taking intro to cave in OC and then doing Full Cave on CCR makes sense on paper and has benefits, but it seems counter-intuitive if all the other diving the person does is closed circuit. As the popularity of CCR continues to increase there will be more and more of these divers who have CCR experience and who wish to start cave diving. The best option is for the agencies to create a CCR diver program that mirrors their OC training progression.

To answer the original question. The optimal swim speed is 30-40ft a min. This is a steady, natural pace that allows most people to breathe normally and take in/admire the cave. 50ft a min swimming is manageable, but faster, and less enjoyable. Anything over 50ft a min is stupid....

You might go 50ft a min if you have a destination in mind and are skipping through the beginning parts of the cave you have seen before. There is a careful balance/trade off between faster penetration speed and a higher SAC rate. There is a level where your penetration distance will shorter than if you had maintained a slower pace.

In a high flow system where pull and glide is utilized, your penetration speed will be somewhere around 30-60ft a min. It depends on the hand holds, the type of relief that can be found in certain sections of cave, the amount of flow, etc. The faster pull and glide paces aren't nearly as taxing as the higher swim rates because you are only using the smaller muscles in our arms.

In Florida, you should be monitoring your penetration (and exit) speed by checking each distance marker and dive time on your computer. It keeps you mentally fit and aware of the dive, also lets you understand the systems and ways to plan more complex dive plans.

I think what you really want is more OC buddies at the intro/full cave level. You don't need to be doing longer, more complicated cave dives, you need to be doing simpler dives to gain more practical experience.

Regarding your swim from Olson to the exit, part of me things that was the right move--the fastest, most straight forward way to exit and you were on CCR. The other part of me thinks that a dive team of 3 swimming divers missed a clearly marked 'T'--- should visually jumping a blind traverse, no matter how certain, be anywhere in the cards right now?

Others (your instructor perhaps) may disagree, but you first 100 cave dives shouldn't really be anything you couldn't accomplish with a OC buddy on backmount or backmount with a stage. Would focus on getting in dives in independent of what you're using. 2xAL80 is going to be limiting factor more often than your buddy gas is (ignoring lots of jumping around to different sections of cave on your exit, and even that is more nav decisions than you need to be making at this point).

100% agree on lots of jumping around and complex navigation. My thought is that I don’t want to do anything I wouldn’t be totally confident finding my way out on without my buddy. Right now I’m confident I can find my way home on the Olson & Peanut sides of Peacock and either side of the T at Little River. Ginnie I really need more time in before I’m comfortable doing anything besides the gold line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom