Covid mask wearing protocol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not the case.

The coronavirus is ravaging the world. But life looks almost normal in much of Africa.

Bangladesh: 'Half of Dhaka dwellers had virus by July'

What is getting lost is most poorer countries don’t have the infrastructure to keep old sick people alive until their 80’s 90’s and beyond. Hence why western countries have such high death rates.

I Doubt any one even knows how many people live in Dhaka, let alone how many have had Covid or died from it.
Life in South Africa doesn't look too normal to me. 26K deaths?? Second wave is taking off?

How is the rate of obesity in Mexico? That may have an impact on Covid deaths/ ICU admissions

What is the international travel like in "much of Africa" & Bangladesh?

I haven't left my house since March maybe 5 times in total. I took a risk and went the first week in December. I had no problems.

Be smart. Wear the mask while in public indoors and don't let anyone inside your bubble without a mask. When you get back, assume you have it and avoid expanding your bubble until you've gone thru the CDC guidelines.

Life is full of risks. Manage those risks as you need within your own risk tolerances.

My biggest concern was the air travel portion. The flight (connection via Charlotte) was smooth and the flights were not crowded. Customs/Immigration into Cozumel was a breeze.

The return flights were the same.... however the DFW Customs/Immigration was a complete disaster. It was the only time the entire trip I augmented my mask with a face shield. Thankfully I avoided most of it with Global Entry.

Good luck and have fun!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been cleaned up. It will move to the pub if it happens again but it would be better if it could instead be used as a resource for those seeking information. Be nice.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been cleaned up. It will move to the pub if it happens again but it would be better if it could instead be used as a resource for those seeking information. Be nice.
Thanks, Ray. Those discussions run off the rails pretty quickly and no one is going to change their mind.

Planning my February trip and was wondering what the mask rules are. I like walking around all areas of the city but wearing a mask while alone and not in proximity of anyone would be a real turn off. Of course waking in stores and restaurants mask wearing is important but walking down the road or at a beach club wearing a mask would be a bummer. I hear that they just implemented new rules. Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect.

I think a whole lot of common sense needs to come into play, and it'd really work anywhere.

I drive around on my moto and don't so much wear my mask (the majority of others do though), I get to stop lights or like in traffic down by the ferry pier, I slip my mask on.

Walking around in town with other people around and like the ferry pier area, I wear a mask - out in front of my house with no one around, I'm lucky to have shorts on.

Walk into any store, bar, resturaunt - wear a mask - stay away from other people, sit away from other people. Walking thru the hotel or out to your beach chair, wear a mask - just sit away from people on the beach then take it off. Order a drink, food or pay a bill and you are close to that person, wear a mask. When you're in a dive shop or confined area, wear a mask....

The mask wearing is not a big deal at all - if there's people around you wearing one, you better be wearing one.

From a locals perspective - I have no fear of the bartender, the cashier or even the lap dance girls that live here - we are more worried about being around any tourist. If we are at Dicks Dive and a bunch of tourists come in big groups hooting and hollering, you might see us leave and go somewhere else less crowded. We've adjusted our lives down here, fist bumps have replaced hugs and we don't sit shoulder to shoulder at the bar or dinner tables - life continues on - come here and enjoy it, just help out by following our rules.

We are heading to CZM in a week, and I understand the sentiment that it's a selfish act, yet I really don't like people thinking that I'm a selfish person!

We looked at it this way:

- MX is open for business
- CZM is open for business
- if dive shops / restaurants / hotels are open, I assume they want our business and are OK with us visiting
- we are keeping away from others for 2 weeks prior to traveling
- we are happy to wear a mask anywhere it's requested/required

We all have our own risk tolerances, I guess.

We all have our own risk tolerances, I guess.
There are two separate buckets of risk: personal risk and public risk. Simplistically put, if there is only a 1 in 100 chance that something will go wrong, many people will take that chance. If a million people make that same decision, 10,000 of them will be wrong.

There are two separate buckets of risk: personal risk and public risk. Simplistically put, if there is only a 1 in 100 chance that something will go wrong, many people will take that chance. If a million people make that same decision, 10,000 of them will be wrong.

I don't understand your point, unless you are suggesting that we all stay in our basement at all times. Driving a car is a 1 in 10,000 chance of dying. That's a public risk, yet we all (?) still drive cars. The regular flu causes 40,000 deaths per year, but in normal years, we still travel/dive/socialize. Even public risk is a sliding scale and people/government officials tolerate some risks greater than zero.

I don't understand your point, unless you are suggesting that we all stay in our basement at all times. Driving a car is a 1 in 10,000 chance of dying. That's a public risk, yet we all (?) still drive cars. The regular flu causes 40,000 deaths per year, but in normal years, we still travel/dive/socialize. Even public risk is a sliding scale and people/government officials tolerate some risks greater than zero.
I'm not suggesting anything; I was just pointing out the difference between the two ways of looking at the risk - the micro and the macro points of view. The micro is not all there is to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom