how to close sb account

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not yet -- if it persists in time, 100% of SB members will eventually make a quiet departure from the board.
I plan to be the first immortal. So far, so good.

If one refers to a deleted post, they will have theirs deleted, as I found out earlier today.
There's a simple reason for that. If the offending original post was off-topic, then your response to it is also, de facto, off topic. If the offending original post was insulting, and you quoted it, then both need to go, along with your response. Mods will SOMETIMES edit a post to delete the offending quote, provided the response can stand on its on, in terms of the thread making sense still, and worth the extra mod effort instead of using the delete key. Which is often why other posts also get deleted in a clean up...they just don't make sense with the post they were responding to is now gone. It's not personal or an insult to you. Just simple discussion board management.

First, I'm sorry KWS and BWS are upset and want to leave. Unless you use this username elsewhere, you are already disassociated from your account. No one knows who you are unless you have shared your personal digits with them. If you do use it elsewhere then we can change that username to anything you want within reason. You've been here quite a while and have always been a good contributor. PM if you want to discuss the issue privately.

I'm curious as to hints of why?
We never divulge that information. Most often, posts are deleted because they are off-topic, like politics in any forum other than The Pub. There are some threads that skirt the line of being germane to diving in certain locations, and we try to be less stringent about them, but once political accusations fly, they are gone. It's not just politics though and some posts in this thread have been deleted because they've been off-topic, hurtful, and even insulting. No, I am not familiar with the particular post that was deleted, I'm just spitballing. While I do far more moderating than Wookie, I can't keep up with it all, especially recently.

As a caveat: we don't sell any personal information. Never have and never will.

Unless you use this username elsewhere, you are already disassociated from your account.

I don't understand what this means. Where elsewhere? Outside if SB? If so, how would they be associated? TIA for an explanation.

I don't understand what this means. Where elsewhere? Outside if SB? If so, how would they be associated? TIA for an explanation.
Exactly. If you used Snoweman on KnittersAnonymous.com forum, then anyone searching for that username would pick up your posts there and here. Now, if Snoweman is your last name, then any search for you, could possibly pick up such posts. Probably not, as I am certain that there are many, many Snowemans making all sorts of posts on all sorts of forums and even news. Using a unique username is security through obscurity. I used my old username, NetDoc", on many, many forums, but for the most part, I don't find my posts on SB when I've searched for it in the past. It's even in my sig line, but it doesn't seem to show up.

Exactly. If you used Snoweman on KnittersAnonymous.com forum, then anyone searching for that username would pick up your posts there and here. Now, if Snoweman is your last name, then any search for you, could possibly pick up such posts. Probably not, as I am certain that there are many, many Snowemans making all sorts of posts on all sorts of forums and even news. Using a unique username is security through obscurity. I used my old username, NetDoc", on many, many forums, but for the most part, I don't find my posts on SB when I've searched for it in the past. It's even in my sig line, but it doesn't seem to show up.

Thanks for the explanation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom