Looking for dive buddies - Portland, OR / Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heyo,

Relatively new diver here, just moved to Portland. Curious about finding dive buddies who frequent Oregon dive sites / Puget Sound area.

What kind of diver am I?

Well I'm inexperienced, but I want to take a perfectionist approach towards technique and safety. Dive planning, buddy gear checks, air-share drills / ascents from depth - I'm into all of that (it bums me out how infrequently live-saving drills have been part of my instruction - you drill an air-sharing ascent twice in a pool from 10' and then... that's that? I'm trusted to save your life? Weird). And of course, enjoying the dive for the sake of enjoying it.

I've dived at night and I've dived deep (111'). So while I'm new, I'm also game and I think I have better fundamentals (trim, buoyancy, etc.) than some I've seen with more experience. So in other words, I'm green but hopefully not entirely helpless.

Other than that I'm a 33 year old guy, creative type, very talkative and witty. I'll leave it at that before this starts to feel like a Craigslist personal ad.

Hey,

I'm in the Portland area and try to get out diving once a month or so. I usually dive up in Hood Canal. Typically I'll do a tech dive then a rec dive each outing, but I'm pretty open. Hit me up if you want to buddy up some time.

I usually dive up in Hood Canal.

Very cool - Hood Canal is actually my favorite PNW dive so far - do you typically dive out of Hoodsport / Sundrock or (where I've dived) or elsewhere?

Typically Hoodsport area for shore dives. I bought a zodiac last year so I have been exploring other sites when the weather is better. I usually launch it from Triton Cove.

I live on Bainbridge in Puget Sound, we have a couple of great shore dive sites right on the island. Point Whitney on the Hood Canal is an interesting dive site nearby. I have a dozen dives on my new drysuit and would be happy to plan more. I'm safety conscious as you are and interested in some skills practice along with fun diving. Went out last Sunday to the deep reef on Rockaway Beach. Max depth was 94'.

I live on Bainbridge in Puget Sound, we have a couple of great shore dive sites right on the island. Point Whitney on the Hood Canal is an interesting dive site nearby. I have a dozen dives on my new drysuit and would be happy to plan more. I'm safety conscious as you are and interested in some skills practice along with fun diving. Went out last Sunday to the deep reef on Rockaway Beach. Max depth was 94'.

Very cool - I used to live in Seattle and actually have multiple friends who live on Bainbridge Island - did you ever visit the Good Egg restaurant by the ferry before it closed? The former owners are close, personal friends of mine. So I've always got a reason to head to Bainbridge and would be happy to dive there - let's stay in touch.

I dive up in Hood Canal 3 or so times a month depending on how many classes I have going and how much I can get out for fun dives.
I own some property up there so I usually try to do multi-day dive trips.

Very cool - I used to live in Seattle and actually have multiple friends who live on Bainbridge Island - did you ever visit the Good Egg restaurant by the ferry before it closed? The former owners are close, personal friends of mine. So I've always got a reason to head to Bainbridge and would be happy to dive there - let's stay in touch.

Yes, been to the "Good Egg". Wife is a chef on the Island. Let me know when you might be around. Pretty slow here due to social distancing for a while. Maybe in the spring things will open up some. We have been diving in pairs while gearing up apart until just before going in the water.

Check out the Oregon Scuba Club Maxwell. We try to get out and dive once a month a do a couple of dives. Thanks to Covid things are a bit slow but it looks like things are going to pen back up for us to do monthly meetings.

Dave
OSC VP

Hey I usually have every other Friday off and can make time on the weekends. I am really looking to get in some diving my regular dive partner is out for right now.
I'm up for any kind of diving if you want to hit me up.

Back
Top Bottom