Boat recommendation for shark cage diving in Guadalupe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanielM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey folks

About to book one of my bucket list trips, (cage) diving with GWS, and have chosen Guadalupe as the location, have any of you done that and have stories to share?

In evaluating the liveaboards that do that trip, it looks like most of them are pretty much the same in terms of price ($3500+tax), number of days diving (2.5-3 days), and setup (surface plus submerged cages to 30'). Differentiators like Wi-Fi or alcohol aren't important enough for me to pay more, but since I will be doing this trip solo, the single supplement situation can have significant impact on the price. It looks like out of the popular boats, the cheapest option for a solo traveler is the Solmar V, which has a single cabin option for just $200 more! I know their cabins are tiny, but having a cabin to myself is an attractor. Anyone figure out a cheaper option for 3 days of cage diving in Guadalupe for a solo traveler?

Anyone have other considerations or tips to share?

Cheers
Daniel

After having done similar research and being a single traveler/diver, I have just booked my first Guadalupe trip for Aug 2021 with Nautilus Liveaboards, nautilusliveaboards.com, on the Nautilus Belle Amie, and I'm already excited! I just returned from a trip to Socorro on the Nautilus Explorer, so I can give you some of my thoughts about the Nautilus company but not the actual trip at Guadalupe. Cost is important for me and I refuse to pay double for a live-aboard, but Nautilus has designated single rooms priced at just 25% more than the lowest priced cabin. If you don't want their single cabin, you can get any room on the boat as a single for a 25% upcharge. That's the best single penalty that I've found yet. (Yes, I call it a penalty and not a supplement because I AM penalized for being a single traveler.) The live-aboard experience is eat, sleep, dive, and repeat. On the Explorer, they missed the mark on eat and sleep, but the diving and the crew were top-notch. The food was mediocre and the single cabins are below deck at the front, pointy end of the boat. I was very sleep deprived from the sound of the waves crashing against the steel hull 24 hours a day, even when anchored. The approximately 90 sq. ft. single cabin on the Explorer has a double bed which is sandwiched between walls, so if you're taller than 5' 8" or so, you'll have to sleep diagonally.

So for the 2021 trip on the Belle Amie, I booked a superior room (150 sq. ft.) above deck. The Belle Amie is a newer boat, remodeled in 2018, and bigger than the Explorer. It can take up to 30 guests, has 2 surface cages (4 people max) and 3 submersible cages that go to 30 feet. There's a sign-up system for the submersibles. The Solmar V has the SPOC, but if I remember right from my research, there's a hefty, extra fee for that, maybe $500-$700 per person. Wi-fi and alcohol are not included with Nautilus. In the cages, you use a shared hookah/regulator. Nautilus has implemented a COVID-19 change such that you get your own regulator assigned to you, so you're not sharing.

Some operators limit your time in the cage per session. Nautilus lets you stay in as long as you want. Nautilus has equipment available to rent. I don't own a 7 mil suit, so I'm renting that, plus I don't have to pack it :wink:

Starting 1/1/21, the marine park fees are increasing from $25 per year to $75 per day for each day you're in the water. It doesn't apply for travel days at sea. For my trip, that's $225. Nautilus is doing its best to retain their customers, so they are crediting back your park fees to be used for on-board purchases, rental gear, courses, gift shop purchases, purchase of a LifeLine device, alcohol, wi-fi, and pre-diving trips and excursions through See Creatures (only for the Socorro trips from Cabo San Lucas). You can also roll leftover credit to your next trip with Nautilus.

For reasons unknown to me, all liveaboard companies for Socorro and Guadalupe charge 16% tax on your base fare, except Nautilus, and they charge 5% tax.

Here's some general tips. If you haven't done a live-aboard recently, make sure you understand the cancellation policy, especially if they, not you, cancel your trip, or if you get COVID before your trip. A good company, like Nautilus, will let you move your trip to another date. Generally, there's no refunds. Some other operators, like Aggressor, have been known to keep your money with no rescheduling option if you get COVID, and most insurance companies don't cover COVID.

The ocean crossing is 18+ hours, and even if you're not prone to seasickness, take some precautionary aids with you.

Cheers!:snorkeler:

Several Years ago, I did that trip on the SolmarV.

The common areas of the boat were gorgeous; mahogany with brass & frosted glass trim. The cabins, however were TINY. There is not enough room for 2 people to stand up at the same time. The only storage space was in "cubbie holes" along your bunk. The Head was located in the shower so that when you had a shower, you had to straddle the head.

It was a good trip, and I was there for the sharks not the boat, but if I was to do it again, I would probably book on a different boat.

Did the GWS trip a few years ago on the Nautilus Belle Amie. Highly recommend as they had five cages-three surface and two submersible. Great crew and comfortable boat. Truly a bucket list trip for us.

After having done similar research and being a single traveler/diver, I have just booked my first Guadalupe trip for Aug 2021 with Nautilus Liveaboards, nautilusliveaboards.com, on the Nautilus Belle Amie, and I'm already excited! I just returned from a trip to Socorro on the Nautilus Explorer, so I can give you some of my thoughts about the Nautilus company but not the actual trip at Guadalupe. Cost is important for me and I refuse to pay double for a live-aboard, but Nautilus has designated single rooms priced at just 25% more than the lowest priced cabin. If you don't want their single cabin, you can get any room on the boat as a single for a 25% upcharge. That's the best single penalty that I've found yet. (Yes, I call it a penalty and not a supplement because I AM penalized for being a single traveler.) The live-aboard experience is eat, sleep, dive, and repeat. On the Explorer, they missed the mark on eat and sleep, but the diving and the crew were top-notch. The food was mediocre and the single cabins are below deck at the front, pointy end of the boat. I was very sleep deprived from the sound of the waves crashing against the steel hull 24 hours a day, even when anchored. The approximately 90 sq. ft. single cabin on the Explorer has a double bed which is sandwiched between walls, so if you're taller than 5' 8" or so, you'll have to sleep diagonally.

So for the 2021 trip on the Belle Amie, I booked a superior room (150 sq. ft.) above deck. The Belle Amie is a newer boat, remodeled in 2018, and bigger than the Explorer. It can take up to 30 guests, has 2 surface cages (4 people max) and 3 submersible cages that go to 30 feet. There's a sign-up system for the submersibles. The Solmar V has the SPOC, but if I remember right from my research, there's a hefty, extra fee for that, maybe $500-$700 per person. Wi-fi and alcohol are not included with Nautilus. In the cages, you use a shared hookah/regulator. Nautilus has implemented a COVID-19 change such that you get your own regulator assigned to you, so you're not sharing.

Some operators limit your time in the cage per session. Nautilus lets you stay in as long as you want. Nautilus has equipment available to rent. I don't own a 7 mil suit, so I'm renting that, plus I don't have to pack it :wink:

Starting 1/1/21, the marine park fees are increasing from $25 per year to $75 per day for each day you're in the water. It doesn't apply for travel days at sea. For my trip, that's $225. Nautilus is doing its best to retain their customers, so they are crediting back your park fees to be used for on-board purchases, rental gear, courses, gift shop purchases, purchase of a LifeLine device, alcohol, wi-fi, and pre-diving trips and excursions through See Creatures (only for the Socorro trips from Cabo San Lucas). You can also roll leftover credit to your next trip with Nautilus.

For reasons unknown to me, all liveaboard companies for Socorro and Guadalupe charge 16% tax on your base fare, except Nautilus, and they charge 5% tax.

Here's some general tips. If you haven't done a live-aboard recently, make sure you understand the cancellation policy, especially if they, not you, cancel your trip, or if you get COVID before your trip. A good company, like Nautilus, will let you move your trip to another date. Generally, there's no refunds. Some other operators, like Aggressor, have been known to keep your money with no rescheduling option if you get COVID, and most insurance companies don't cover COVID.

The ocean crossing is 18+ hours, and even if you're not prone to seasickness, take some precautionary aids with you.

Cheers!:snorkeler:

Good info!

I’ll be in Guadalupe Island on Belle Amie in November to see big mama GWS, which tend to show up at later time of the year. My original plan was in July this year, but Mexico border was still closed then due to the pandemic. So, I had to reschedule it to November 2021.

Also I’ll be in Socorro in 2 weeks on Belle Amie & in May 2021. So, I’ll be on Belle Amie 3x in 2021.

I did the trip a few years ago on the SolmarV was very happy.. Capt. an Crew did a excellent job.. an the Cook.. omg more like a Chef still think about coming out of the cage after almost two hours.. an getting handed a cup of tortilla soup :) omg so good.

You can usually book as a single sharing room if you dont want to pay more for a single berth.
Belle Amie is a great boat for Guadeloupe, for Soccoro I went with Solmar V since there are fewer divers on the boat hence fewer divers in the water.

After having done similar research and being a single traveler/diver, I have just booked my first Guadalupe trip for Aug 2021 with Nautilus Liveaboards, nautilusliveaboards.com, on the Nautilus Belle Amie, and I'm already excited! I just returned from a trip to Socorro on the Nautilus Explorer, so I can give you some of my thoughts about the Nautilus company but not the actual trip at Guadalupe.

Thanks! I'll follow along your advice below (out of order), comparing it to the research I did for the Solmar V. :)

Cost is important for me and I refuse to pay double for a live-aboard, but Nautilus has designated single rooms priced at just 25% more than the lowest priced cabin. If you don't want their single cabin, you can get any room on the boat as a single for a 25% upcharge. That's the best single penalty that I've found yet. (Yes, I call it a penalty and not a supplement because I AM penalized for being a single traveler.)

While I don't typically run into it personally (usually my wife joins me), I too see this as a penalty, and like you I consider the cost important. The Solmar V has single cabins for $200 more, which I think compares favorably to the 25% you mentioned. Please check my math:
  • Solmar V: $3495 + 16% tax = $4,054.20 + marine park fees + gratuity
  • Nautilus: $3993.75 + 5% tax + $65 port fee = $4,258.44 + marine park fees + gratuity

Good catch, thanks! I factored this in the calculation above.

Wi-fi and alcohol are not included with Nautilus.

Solmar V has beer included, and this can be translated to a dollar value to add to the Nautilus side of the equation. On Solmar V there is no Wi-Fi, you'd have to choose the Vortex for that. It sounds like Nautilus at least offers the Wi-Fi as an add-on option to pay, so that would be an advantage to them.

Starting 1/1/21, the marine park fees are increasing from $25 per year to $75 per day for each day you're in the water. It doesn't apply for travel days at sea. For my trip, that's $225.

Yes that is what Solmar V told me too, this seems the same regardless of boat.

Nautilus is doing its best to retain their customers, so they are crediting back your park fees to be used for on-board purchases, rental gear, courses, gift shop purchases, purchase of a LifeLine device, alcohol, wi-fi, and pre-diving trips and excursions through See Creatures (only for the Socorro trips from Cabo San Lucas). You can also roll leftover credit to your next trip with Nautilus.

Wow. Another one to factor in the costs. This might bring the total cost to even, though with Nautilus it is credit as opposed to cash, and I don't know if they'll do it for 2022 trips which is when I am booking for.

The live-aboard experience is eat, sleep, dive, and repeat. On the Explorer, they missed the mark on eat and sleep, but the diving and the crew were top-notch. The food was mediocre and the single cabins are below deck at the front, pointy end of the boat. I was very sleep deprived from the sound of the waves crashing against the steel hull 24 hours a day, even when anchored. The approximately 90 sq. ft. single cabin on the Explorer has a double bed which is sandwiched between walls, so if you're taller than 5' 8" or so, you'll have to sleep diagonally.

Good tip, that would be annoying. Now just need someone to compare that Nautilus assessment to the Solmar V for "eat and sleep"

So for the 2021 trip on the Belle Amie, I booked a superior room (150 sq. ft.) above deck. The Belle Amie is a newer boat, remodeled in 2018, and bigger than the Explorer. It can take up to 30 guests, has 2 surface cages (4 people max) and 3 submersible cages that go to 30 feet. There's a sign-up system for the submersibles.

Thanks, looks like the Solmar V also has two 4-person surface cages, for 20 passengers (instead of 30). For the submersible cages, regardless of number I think all boats allow you 3 dives max per day. So I think at best we'd call this even, if not advantage to Solmar V. Let me know if am I missing something (it won't be the first time :wink: )

Some operators limit your time in the cage per session. Nautilus lets you stay in as long as you want.

Interesting, I presume that is for the surface cages only (I think I read they had a 3-dive 30-minute limit for the submersibles). How does that work if there are people waiting to get in? The Solmar V rotate people every 60 minutes, with unlimited turns. My assumption was that the cages always have people in them (if they don't, then the whole point seems moot since there is nothing to limit).

In the cages, you use a shared hookah/regulator. Nautilus has implemented a COVID-19 change such that you get your own regulator assigned to you, so you're not sharing.

Great! I would hope the other boats will copy that idea. In fact, I am going to ask Solmar V what they do about it...

Sigh. Companies that inflexibly keep the customer's money due to COVID-19 may be doing it to stay afloat, which from a basic survival instinct makes sense, but I think that if those stories get out to the market in "active voice" then those companies will eventually go out of business. IMO the market rewards companies that care for their customers first, before caring for themselves.

Definitely prone to it, I find ginger gum helps, and thanks for the reminder! :)

The Solmar V has the SPOC, but if I remember right from my research, there's a hefty, extra fee for that, maybe $500-$700 per person.

Yes! The SPOC is an extra $675 per 45-minute immersion. To me this makes the Pelagic Fleet win hands down (and then the choice becomes Solmar V or the more expensive/newer Vortex). I say that on the assumption that the main reason we are all choosing this trip are to view the sharks up close (everything else is important, but secondary), so when one outfit offers something unparalleled like the SPOC, they would have to be actively terrible on every other front to not be chosen. Does that reasoning make sense?

Did the GWS trip a few years ago on the Nautilus Belle Amie. Highly recommend as they had five cages-three surface and two submersible. Great crew and comfortable boat. Truly a bucket list trip for us.

Nice! See my response on another branch of this thread, the cage situation seems to be the same across boats when you factor in the number of passengers and the 3-dive limit on using the submersible cage.

What month would you go if you did it again? They say you see fewer but larger sharks later in the season. My thinking is that when looking back I'll only remember my one or two best moments in the cage, so those 1-2 memories might as well be of the largest shark possible :). Sadly I could only find a spot for Sep 27th, hopefully that is not too early…

I’ll be in Guadalupe Island on Belle Amie in November to see big mama GWS, which tend to show up at later time of the year.

Sweet! That's what I read too about the big mamas, and that decision makes sense to me! However, I think I also read that the smaller sharks come closer to the cage and more frequently, which would create a dilemma (what's more important: proximity or size)…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom