Hog poppet oring size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slightly off topic, but with the second stage already open I tried using 2.2mmX1mm orings for the deep six poppet.
The fit is too tight, 2.2X1 will not work as substitute for 2.4X.82 poppet orings.

I think it is safe to say the -006 is not going to work for poppet oring.

Perhaps there was misunderstanding, schematics do show the duro 90 -006 used in deep six first stage. High pressure areas of first stage and pressure gauge is where one would expect to see duro 90 orings.
big.jpg

Slightly off topic, but with the second stage already open I tried using 2.2mmX1mm orings for the deep six poppet.
The fit is too tight, 2.2X1 will not work as substitute for 2.4X.82 poppet orings.

@Kupu Just to clarify; are you saying the i.d. of the 2.2mm x 1.0mm seal is too small?

How about a 2.5 X 1.0mm V75 from McMaster-Carr?
$6 for a pack of 50 McMaster-Carr

The cross section is only + 0.007" over and the i.d. is < 0.004" over-probably well withing the tolerances of either dimension.

FWIW 2.5 X 1.0mm is the old Scubapro poppet (w/metal stem) size o-ring.

@Kupu Just to clarify; are you saying the i.d. of the 2.2mm x 1.0mm seal is too small?

How about a 2.5 X 1.0mm V75 from McMaster-Carr?
$6 for a pack of 50 McMaster-Carr

The cross section is only + 0.007" over and the i.d. is < 0.004" over-probably well withing the tolerances of either dimension.

FWIW 2.5 X 1.0mm is the old Scubapro poppet (w/metal stem) size o-ring.
When trying the 2.2mmX1mm on the Deep Six poppet, the poppet became stuck in the balance chamber because the 2.2x1 is too fat when installed on the poppet. Photo of these two orings below.
20201224_161005.jpg

I think the smaller ID is the primary issue, with wider CS as a lesser factor that mostly comes into play after the oring is stretched when placed into the poppet groove?

As a way to remove ID as a factor, I tried seating the orings into the Deep Six balance chamber by themselves, not installed on poppet. The 2.2 X 1 takes a slight nudge to seat into the balance chamber vs the 2.4X.82 which "almost" falls into place. So a 2.5mm X 1mm could work, but not sure without testing.

When trying the 2.2mmX1mm on the Deep Six poppet, the poppet became stuck in the balance chamber because the 2.2x1 is too fat when installed on the poppet. Photo of these two orings below.
View attachment 632420

I think the smaller ID is the primary issue, with wider CS as a lesser factor that mostly comes into play after the oring is stretched when placed into the poppet groove?

As a way to remove ID as a factor, I tried seating the orings into the Deep Six balance chamber by themselves, not installed on poppet. The 2.2 X 1 takes a slight nudge to seat into the balance chamber vs the 2.4X.82 which "almost" falls into place. So a 2.5mm X 1mm could work, but not sure without testing.

hmm...from your picture, I would imagine the 2.5 x 1.0 would be even worse than the 2.2 as it is the o.d. causing the issue. Remember, double the CS and add to the ID to get the OD Thus:

2.4 x .82 = 4.04 OD
2.2 x 1.0 = 4.20 OD
2.5 x 1.0 = 4.50 OD

A 2.0mm x 1.0mm might be the best bet for a stock seal.
A whopping $4.85 for 50 from McMaster
McMaster-Carr

or you could try PAI for custom seals. Standard & Custom O-Rings from Precision Associates, Inc.

@couv Thank you for the easy to understand lesson on oring size, I overthought and got it wrong.

@Candiru I have just ordered a batch of the 2.0mm x 1.0mm to try, once they arrive I will send some your way. PM a mailing address if that is of interest.

Following up regarding 2.0mm x 1.0mm orings for deep six poppet. When installed on the poppet, they stretch causing the OD to increase. The poppet does not move freely on the balance chamber, bounce test fail.

I also pulled a couple 2.5 x 1.0 off old SP poppets to try. Bounce test fail.

After a bit of searching, the only 2.4 X .82 orings I can find to buy are in the $19 second stage kit. :(

Apologies for drifting off the original question of HOG poppet orings.

Following up regarding 2.0mm x 1.0mm orings for deep six poppet. When installed on the poppet, they stretch causing the OD to increase. The poppet does not move freely on the balance chamber, bounce test fail.

I also pulled a couple 2.5 x 1.0 off old SP poppets to try. Bounce test fail.

After a bit of searching, the only 2.4 X .82 orings I can find to buy are in the $19 second stage kit. :(

Apologies for drifting off the original question of HOG poppet orings.

Helpful information is always helpful regardless of model. Thank you.

Take care

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom