You aren't missing much....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before recently deciding to travel to St. Croix USVI, I called the small island hospital to confirm that they would accept our Medicare Part A and Part B coverage (they do!) and to ask about the care procedure if either of us were to get sick with Covid - or other serious illness - while on the island.

St Croix is an unincorporated territory of the United States, so assume that's why they accept Medicare. Cayman Islands is a British Overseas Territory and does not accept Medicare and Medicare does not accept health care claims from outside the US. We've been "stranded" here for almost a year and have had to pay directly for a bunch of health care costs incurred over that time. You would need a private supplemental policy that covers out-of-country medical costs. Even my supplemental policy covers only emergencies, not "urgent care," as I unfortunately discovered. There are policy riders you can get for international travel but they have time limits for how long you can travel - don't recall exactly what they were but I know we exceed them every year, so were not eligible. But you should look into that.

St Croix is an unincorporated territory of the United States, so assume that's why they accept Medicare. Cayman Islands is a British Overseas Territory and does not accept Medicare and Medicare does not accept health care claims from outside the US. We've been "stranded" here for almost a year and have had to pay directly for a bunch of health care costs incurred over that time. You would need a private supplemental policy that covers out-of-country medical costs. Even my supplemental policy covers only emergencies, not "urgent care," as I unfortunately discovered. There are policy riders you can get for international travel but they have time limits for how long you can travel - don't recall exactly what they were but I know we exceed them every year, so were not eligible. But you should look into that.

That's correct. The St. Croix hospital billing department told me that Medicare Parts A & B are accepted by the hospital and that most providers in the USVI accept Medicare Part B for outpatient care.

Our Medicare supplemental insurance includes some provisions for travel. The billing agent told me that our supplemental policies might (or might not) be accepted and to "always check first."

The availability of easy medical coverage during a pandemic was one of the reasons we choose to visit St. Croix this year.

We also also contacted our car insurance and received confirmation that our domestic car insurance would apply to rental cars in the USVI because they are part of the US.

We also also contacted our car insurance and received confirmation that our domestic car insurance would apply to rental cars in the USVI because they are part of the US.

Our car insurance carries over to the Caymans and most other countries as well, and I think that's typical . What is not covered by most (all?) insurance companies is third party liability (e.g., paying for damage to the other car or structure you might have hit). We have an umbrella policy that covers all liabilities at home and abroad, so we're covered for third party, but I had to shop around for one that had international coverage. And given the way I drive, it's come in handy :)

Our car insurance carries over to the Caymans and most other countries as well, and I think that's typical . What is not covered by most (all?) insurance companies is third party liability (e.g., paying for damage to the other car or structure you might have hit). We have an umbrella policy that covers all liabilities at home and abroad, so we're covered for third party, but I had to shop around for one that had international coverage. And given the way I drive, it's come in handy :)

Yes, I know that because the credit card insurance doesn't include 3rd party liability. We checked and our car insurance included 3rd party liability coverage in St. Croix. Thanks

Well.....

We got approval all the way up to the final flight to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac.

That flight was full by the time they processed our request.

I am working on creating some solution to getting to Little Cyman.

Hanging from the top of a building by my fingernails. Not looking good.

Just wondering if you were able to travel to LC?

Another sad goodbye for the dive industry. Lobster Pot Dive Center is shutting. The wonderful ops that used the shop and dock have to find a new home. Wish them all the best of luck. Have to say the diving here is really phenomenal right now. The marine environment is enjoying the break from boat/ship traffic and limited number of divers.

Sorry for the late reply Kathyv

Yes, we got to Little Cayman.

We did our required 15 day self quarantine and got released about 8:00 PM on December 5.

Been here since then.

We have seen reef sharks on just about every dive in the bight. Saw four today between Eagle Ray and Mixing Bowl dive sites.

Sorry for the late reply Kathyv

Yes, we got to Little Cayman.

We did our required 15 day self quarantine and got released about 8:00 PM on December 5.

Been here since then.

We have seen reef sharks on just about every dive in the bight. Saw four today between Eagle Ray and Mixing Bowl dive sites.

So glad that you made it! How did you get from GC to LC? I remember that you said it was hard to find space on a flight to LC.

Are you located on the water? Little Cayman is so quiet that it's hard to imagine quarantining there for 15 days - what was that like?

Enjoy your time in such a lovely diving destination!

Back
Top Bottom