Looking to lighten my rig!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReadyDiverOne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All, I'm looking to lighten my rig topside (it is sufficiently negative that I can afford to lose some weight), and am interested in alternatives to my current equipment.

So, I have 2 original YS-D2 strobes and have been very lucky with them, no issues, but if I wanted to replace them with a comparable but lighter set of strobes, what are the options. Would spend more if need be.

Same question re my Kraken 5000.

Finally, I'm using a standard Ultralight tray with extender, but I don't find it very light! I need a tray at least 12"-13" long, with ball handles. Anyone out there making trays from titanium? :)

Thanks.

Do you want to make it lighter out of water, or just improve the buoyancy? There are all manner of floats and replacement arms that will help with this. Why don't you share a picture of your current setup so you can get some useful input?

You can certainly get lighter strobes if you are prepared to give up on power and features. The YS-D2 weighs about 760-770 gr in air with batteries comparable strobes are:

• YS D2J 670 gr (air) 40 gr (water)
  • INON Z-330 690 gr (air) 48 gr (water)
  • Retra Pro 875 gr (air) 130 gr (water)
  • INON S2000 450 gr (air) 69 gr (water)
so you could save about 440 gr by going to the little S2000 strobes in air about 1 lb. almost no change underwater. The S&S YS-01 would be pretty much same weight. Hardly seems worth it as you would give up significant strobe power to save that 1 lb and lose the spotting light. The S2000 strobe is a great little strobe but is generally only regarded as good enough for compact systems (G7X, RX-100 etc) and maybe m43 at a stretch and manly for macro.

Is it difficult to carry/too heavy topside? If so I suggest finding a better way to carry it vs looking for lighter gear.

Do you have a carry handle?

You can certainly get lighter strobes if you are prepared to give up on power and features. The YS-D2 weighs about 760-770 gr in air with batteries comparable strobes are:

• YS D2J 670 gr (air) 40 gr (water)
  • INON Z-330 690 gr (air) 48 gr (water)
  • Retra Pro 875 gr (air) 130 gr (water)
  • INON S2000 450 gr (air) 69 gr (water)
so you could save about 440 gr by going to the little S2000 strobes in air about 1 lb. almost no change underwater. The S&S YS-01 would be pretty much same weight. Hardly seems worth it as you would give up significant strobe power to save that 1 lb and lose the spotting light. The S2000 strobe is a great little strobe but is generally only regarded as good enough for compact systems (G7X, RX-100 etc) and maybe m43 at a stretch and manly for macro.

Thanks much. Doesn't sound like much to be done in strobe area. In response to this helpful post and that of @chris kippax I would add that I'm shooting an a6400 w the 16-50mm kit lens in the Fantasea housing with the AOI UWL 90 wide angle lens. So altogether, particularly given the AOI wide angle lens, it is quite/very heavy on land. I don't have a handle strap and will look into that, but I shoot a GoPro on top of the rig (in the housing cold shoe) so wonder whether a strap will interfere with that.

Any thoughts on a good but light tray? Do feel my ultralight not very light.

Many thanks.

I don't have a handle strap and will look into that, but I shoot a GoPro on top of the rig (in the housing cold shoe) so wonder whether a strap will interfere with that.

I shoot an A6300 in a SeaFrogs housing, so broadly similar, probably somewhat heavier as I use a large dome with weights on it to keep it from floating, and I use this clipped between the upper joints in the strobe arms to carry the rig. It functions as either a carrying handle or a shoulder strap, and if I need to spread the arms wider underwater, I just unclip one of the ends. The whole rig weighs about 7-8kg in air, neutral underwater, but carrying it on a shoulder is no problem at all.

I shoot an A6300 in a SeaFrogs housing, so broadly similar, probably somewhat heavier as I use a large dome with weights on it to keep it from floating, and I use this clipped between the upper joints in the strobe arms to carry the rig. It functions as either a carrying handle or a shoulder strap, and if I need to spread the arms wider underwater, I just unclip one of the ends. The whole rig weighs about 7-8kg in air, neutral underwater, but carrying it on a shoulder is no problem at all.
Whoa, you think I'm made out of money??? JK!! I like it, thanks. :bounce:

All, I'm looking to lighten my rig topside (it is sufficiently negative that I can afford to lose some weight), and am interested in alternatives to my current equipment. So, I have 2 original YS-D2 strobes and have been very lucky with them, no issues, but if I wanted to replace them with a comparable but lighter set of strobes, what are the options. Would spend more if need be. Same question re my Kraken 5000.

Finally, I'm using a standard Ultralight tray with extender, but I don't find it very light! I need a tray at least 12"-13" long, with ball handles. Anyone out there making trays from titanium? :) Thanks.

If you want a light tray then you make it from plastic that is used for food containers and it must meet standards for storing food so is also safe for water. You can make ball handles if you want mine handles are just round with screw threads that have standard sizes so can use go pro screws or camera screws. The screws into the handles at the bottom are standard go pro fittings. You can remove everything and unscrew the handles and pack into a laptop case. I put my camera lights extra batteries spare screws chargers and dive computer into a DJI hard case for a Phanton3 drone. It meets hand carry for flights.

TG6 & BIG BLUE VL4200P.jpg

I got some paracord and a pair of bolt snaps and made my own one of those. Works great for carrying my rig and for having boat crew grab it to lift my camera in and out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom