Sites for night dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We enjoy entering at Dive Friends Hamlet Oasis, which has easy parking and an easy entry. Out to Small Wall, head south through Cliff to La Machaca, and exit on Don's dock. There's a 3" line from the dock to the sandy bottom, which makes navigation simple. Easy walk back to get the truck, and both Small Wall/Cliff and La Machaca have nice variety. As noted, Something Special is great in the evening; you might consider Weber's Joy or Jeff Davis, too. All easy entries, although there's a stone wall to hoist gear down and up at Weber's Joy.

Small Wall is offshore from the Black Durgon. It's a long way from DF Hamlet Oasis. I've done it as a surface swim just to dive Small Wall - one time, won't be doing that again. Al doesn't allow non-guests to enter from Black Durgon, so if you wanna dive it you have to have other access.

Or am I confused?

ETA: Cliff is a good night dive. Easy, some ambient light to get geared up and for exit...

Small Wall is offshore from the Black Durgon. It's a long way from DF Hamlet Oasis. I've done it as a surface swim just to dive Small Wall - one time, won't be doing that again. Al doesn't allow non-guests to enter from Black Durgon, so if you wanna dive it you have to have other access.

Or am I confused?

ETA: Cliff is a good night dive. Easy, some ambient light to get geared up and for exit...
You're correct. On a no current day, I've done a dive going north from Bari Reef, to Buddy's, to La Machaca/Capt Don's, to the Cliff, exiting at Hamlet Oasis. The pipeline is an easy landmark.

Small Wall is north of Cliff, past Coopers Barge. I have only dived Small Wall from a Dive Friends boat. A really excellent dive, worth it.

You're correct. On a no current day, I've done a dive going north from Bari Reef, to Buddy's, to La Machaca/Capt Don's, to the Cliff, exiting at Hamlet Oasis. The pipeline is an easy landmark.

Small Wall is north of Cliff, past Coopers Barge. I have only dived Small Wall from a Dive Friends boat.

We stayed at black durgon one time and I did the surface swim southward to drop on the coopers barge, then return shallow along small wall and out - another bad idea I won't be doing again.

But small wall... I could make a week out of diving it. It is a fantastic night dive but you'd need shore access if not staying at black durgon.

I liked Windsock (even though one time mosquitos ate me alive there; don't think that's typical). Navigation is not my strong point; it's really nice when I pop up at the end of a night dive and there's this huge pier I entered beside making the exit point glaringly obvious. That path is also sandy and pretty easy in and out (I say pretty easy because submerged rocky structure can be blundered into, covered with silt so it's camouflaged - as I learned the hard way).

Or am I confused?

Oops. It's obviously been too long!

+1 on Salt Pier easy to navigate at night and the entry is not bad IMHO

I've thought about trying Oil Slick at night. Seems like tying some little flashers on the bottom of the stairs might work pretty well. Plus I like to stay at CCB.

Back
Top Bottom