A new kind of long stay visa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there is talk of dropping the quarantine to 10 days for select countries, but so far all proposals to do so have been denied.
Regardless, I've got flight tickets and ASQ hotel booked, a visa appointment at the Thai embassy scheduled for next week, and if nothing goes wrong, I will be spending January, February and a bit of March on Koh Tao. Lanta was my first choice, but from the replies I've got, there's hardly any diving happening over there, so it's gonna be Tao.

I hope you make it in time, the word on the street here is Thailand will quickly move to require a certified vaccine (meaning submitted to the Thai Embassy in your home country) before allowing anyone to enter the country. From here it’s thought they can dramatically reduce the quarantine. Keep in mind, these passing proposals can go nowhere, but since Australia is making the move, it’s likely others will follow......

I hope you make it in time, the word on the street here is Thailand will quickly move to require a certified vaccine (meaning submitted to the Thai Embassy in your home country) before allowing anyone to enter the country. From here it’s thought they can dramatically reduce the quarantine. Keep in mind, these passing proposals can go nowhere, but since Australia is making the move, it’s likely others will follow......

As I understand it, no vaccines have been certified as of yet, and deployment may begin to frontline medical personnel in some countries sometime in December. My visa appointment at the embassy is next Friday, and my flight is on December 15th, so hopefully I'll get through before another policy change. Now, my return flight in March is quite another matter - wider-scale vaccine deployments might be under way by then, but I doubt I'll be eligible for one as a foreigner in Thailand. Hopefully Emirates won't follow Qantas in banning unvaccinated passengers from flying, or at least not this quickly.

As I understand it, no vaccines have been certified as of yet, and deployment may begin to frontline medical personnel in some countries sometime in December. My visa appointment at the embassy is next Friday, and my flight is on December 15th, so hopefully I'll get through before another policy change. Now, my return flight in March is quite another matter - wider-scale vaccine deployments might be under way by then, but I doubt I'll be eligible for one as a foreigner in Thailand. Hopefully Emirates won't follow Qantas in banning unvaccinated passengers from flying, or at least not this quickly.

Hopefully, it all goes well, I wouldn’t worry about obtaining a vaccine here, if your willing to pay my guess is it will be available in the private hospitals, which are quite desperate for business right now.

There’s been a smallish outbreak in the north, at the Burma border. This has affected cities in the north and a few cases have made it to Bangkok now. I actually think this is okay so long as they can keep in check and remains at a low rate. The prevailing attitude that even one case is unacceptable seems unreasonable, even with a future vaccine.

off to the Similan’s today for a week of diving....

There’s been a smallish outbreak in the north, at the Burma border. This has affected cities in the north and a few cases have made it to Bangkok now. I actually think this is okay so long as they can keep in check and remains at a low rate. The prevailing attitude that even one case is unacceptable seems unreasonable, even with a future vaccine.

off to the Similan’s today for a week of diving....
A common borders(land and water) with so many countries(Cambodia, Burma, Laos and Malaysia), it is inevitable that cases would be found around that area.
Lucky for you and pretty sure you will have a fabulous trip.

A small step forward.
Anyone can come now as long as they can fulfill the entry requirement.

Thailand eases curbs on travel

Visa-or-arrival/visa-exempt is back, and as of yesterday, extended to 45 days to compensate for the 15 days in quarantine. A second proposal to reduce quarantine time to 10 days (the last one was rejected in November) will be evaluated by the government in January.

FWIW, I am currently in ASQ in Bangkok. The process for getting TR visa and all the other paperwork was quite smooth and uneventful. The processing of arrivals at Suvarnabhumi is very fast; I was out of the airport within 30 minutes of the plane doors opening. The ASQ itself, at least so far, is also alright - I have my laptop and work phone hooked up to a 4G router provided by the hotel, with a 40" TV functioning as my secondary screen, so I'm working pretty much as normal, not using up any of my vacation time except on travel days.

Thailand eases curbs on travel

Visa-or-arrival/visa-exempt is back, and as of yesterday, extended to 45 days to compensate for the 15 days in quarantine. A second proposal to reduce quarantine time to 10 days (the last one was rejected in November) will be evaluated by the government in January.

FWIW, I am currently in ASQ in Bangkok. The process for getting TR visa and all the other paperwork was quite smooth and uneventful. The processing of arrivals at Suvarnabhumi is very fast; I was out of the airport within 30 minutes of the plane doors opening. The ASQ itself, at least so far, is also alright - I have my laptop and work phone hooked up to a 4G router provided by the hotel, with a 40" TV functioning as my secondary screen, so I'm working pretty much as normal, not using up any of my vacation time except on travel days.

This is amazing and good, hope it goes quickly.....

I'm curious, must you keep your luggage in the room or can someone pick it up and take it to your permanent or semi permanent stay?

Back
Top Bottom