Help! Slimy Gear after soaking too long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha Joe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I let my gear soak for a few days (oops!) in a new plastic bin. Now everything plastic or rubber is super slimy. I washed it in baby shampoo, then soaked regs in mouthwash and still slimy. My mask is completely slippery slimy. I hope it’s something that can be cleaned.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions??

Reactions: OTF
Hmm... haven’t encountered that before maybe some sort of fungal infection slime mould etc.
Try soaking in Steramine or Virkon solution?

I add a pinch of bleach to my rinse bucket, liquids would also work

It's probably just some minor algal issue. Just hose it down; allow it to air-dry; and it should be just fine.

I have more than occasionally forgotten a mask in a cleaning tub; and that "sliming" is an all-too common occurrence . . .

I know the slime you are talking about, only solution is to go diving! A weekend of 2 tank boat dives should do the trick, and if you don't, gear is going to be completely ruined.

I kid, but any excuse to tell the family why you must go diving can be important.

I really like Odoban, and that would be what I would use to try and make sure anything is killed off. You can find it at Home Depot. Soak for a bit, then straight to air dry, and I hope that would fix it. I think at that point I wouldn't worry too much about any residual sliminess, but if there was a lot, another thing to try is vinegar.

I know the slime you are talking about, only solution is to go diving! A weekend of 2 tank boat dives should do the trick, and if you don't, gear is going to be completely ruined.

I agree with this statement.

I add a pinch of bleach to my rinse bucket, liquids would also work

Like Fibonacci said I would try Steramine or Virkon. Very safe diving gear approved disinfectants that are non toxic and will not damage any of your equipment

I let my gear soak for a few days (oops!) in a new plastic bin. Now everything plastic or rubber is super slimy. I washed it in baby shampoo, then soaked regs in mouthwash and still slimy. My mask is completely slippery slimy. I hope it’s something that can be cleaned.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions??

Career change?

0_scuba-diving-poo-388395.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom