For Sale Multiple Tall & Reg Stainless Steel/Alum Backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I'll try it out as is. Only 10 days until my first dives since 2019.

From what I remember, Tobin's plates were designed around single tank use, and the flatter bend angle was beneficial for that use.

From what I remember, Tobin's plates were designed around single tank use, and the flatter bend angle was beneficial for that use.
That's right. It keeps the tank closer to the body. Now that you mention it, I can see why the bend would be advantageous for doubles.

I'll have to figure out the odds of me diving backmount doubles before doing any modifications. I have some back issues due to a herniated disk, so sidemount will probably be a better option if I need doubles.

Due to my height, my plates are all DSS long/x-long. I was pleased to be able to get them as he was making them when I made the move to a bp/w. The availability of a tall design was the reason I ditched a conventional bc that never really fit. I was also lucky to get regular DSS plates for my wife and daughter too after I found out how nice a bp/w was.

I wish I hadn't let Tobin talk me out of a tall plate to start with. He went by overall height, but I have a long torso and short legs for someone who is 5'11".

Anyway, I'm handing over my standard size DSS plate to my son. He just turned 12 and is already 5'7", so I imagine his younger sister will eventually end up with it.

I was between a long and X-long, and let him talk me out of an X-long on my first one. It was okay for singles. When I went to doubles, I ignored his protests, and ordered an X-long. He got pissy with me, but eventually let me order it. Yeah, Tobin was "fun". Miss him. Really, I do...

I was ordering some stuff (including a harness kit with blue webbing for that DSS plate) from Randy (?) at Piranha a few days ago. He said they bought everything Tobin had in stock when he closed up the California shop for the move to Nevada. That's why they still have a few odds and ends like the compass bungee mounts.

Randy also said he's begged Tobin to do some runs of various parts, but he's just not interested even for a guaranteed sale and no need for customer service.

Right on the money, I prefer the steeper angles, allows the bolts on dbls to be shorter and lessens the chance of punctures 2 the back of your DS, been there done that not fun on an expensive trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom