Diving with alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not an intentional encounter lol. I was with a friend on his refresh dive at Casa Cenote in Tulum. The instructor surprised us with the resident croc... I kinda wondered why he had us surface halfway through the dive lol.

Actually can anyone confirm if this is a gator or croc? Sign says croc but some references say it’s a gator.

EE83BA35-484D-45C5-B0DF-87B30610E297.jpeg
B842A1F2-0D3B-4D86-BA59-E6882D050731.jpeg

It should be an alligator.
Are there even Krokodiles In amerika?

Not an intentional encounter lol. I was with a friend on his refresh dive at Casa Cenote in Tulum. The instructor surprised us with the resident croc... I kinda wondered why he had us surface halfway through the dive lol.

Actually can anyone confirm if this is a gator or croc? Sign says croc but some references say it’s a gator.

View attachment 629462 View attachment 629463

It is a bit hard to tell but it should be an American Crocodile given the location. The eyes and coloration on the tail sure look like a crocodile. South FL is the southern most range of the American Alligator and the northern most range of the American Crocodile. This is the only location the two species coexist. If you visit Shark Valley in Everglades National Park there is a croc that lives amongst the gators at the observation tower.

Looks like a croc to me.

Yes, yes there are. In Florida Keys

They are sneaky bastards. One was about to bite my brother in law here in Sittee River. Lucky my stepson saw it coming, jaws agape, and screamed to his uncle. They still had to beat it with their spearguns as it kept coming.
Another one was about to grab my dog. I threw a few coconuts at it and it disappeared....for now....brrrrrrr...

Yes, there are salt water crocodiles in the Florida Keys. We have one in the “creek” behind our house in North Key Largo. There are many/more to the south of us in the Crocodile Lake Wildlife Preserve. Creates some interesting encounters with paddle boarders, although the crocs are primarily nocturnal; more so than alligators.

We have many salt water Crocs "American Crocodile" swimming in the canal's here in Key Largo, especially in the spring and summertime. In the last 30 years the Croc population has grown tremendously down here. Late summer when the tides get high, the Crocs will go on peoples property and hang out soaking up the sun. Croc's are very skittish and stay away from humans for the most part but smaller one's seem to be more curious and will get close. In the winter time you can see hundreds of them hanging at the Turkey Point nuke plant cooling canals, that's if you can get on the property!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom