Unusual Things That You've Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dead person. Searching for a cadaver in 17 feet of water with zero vis is no picnic...

Let the awkward silence begin!!!!

I forgot, I have found an old milk glass jar, maybe an old ponds jar late 30's? it is threaded but no cover. was on a dive where we found a cremated dog... didn't know until my buddy opened the bag and says I found something, I said that's not a something it's a someone... found an old film roll, like a film projector style, water had destroyed it. diving in rivers always nets new things, there is a bunch of marble on the bottom of the Connecticut river from a wreck headed to Arlington national cemetary from Barre Vermont. all sorts of broken head stones that never got engraved

Found a couple things.

Found some soft weights on the bottom right after descending. Found one, then another a few feet away. I then noticed the zipper to my weight pocket was open. New BC at the time, and I wasn’t as familiar with it.

Found a couple of knives. One fairly nice titanium knife. My buddy uses it now. Found another knife earlier this year. I recognized it, and realized it belonged to another buddy who was diving with me.

Found a prop shaft with prop from an inboard. Or, more accurately, my anchor found it. Windlass was struggling that day. Weird part is that this was not at a wreck site. No boat wreckage was seen, just the prop shaft.

Found two plow anchors recently. Finding anchors is not exactly unusual, as they get hung up from time to time. First one was just a bit unusual. We cleared all the rode and chain and swam up with the line. Rode ended at about 15’ from the surface. Tidal swings in the area are significantly less than 15’. Plus, it was fairly close to low tide at the time, so maybe 1-2’ could be accounted for if it was lost on extreme low tide. Rode looked like it was a clean cut, not like it had snapped. Contrast that with another anchor found a short distance away. That anchor had a good 10’ left when we reached the surface.

What is unusual that I find now, THE AMOUNT OF PLASTIC AND GARBAGE ON THE BOTTOM!

When I was a kid growing up in Key Largo during the 70's and 80's, we would go diving every day and never ever see plastic or garbage on the bay side or the ocean bottom. Now you see it everywhere, it BS!

For all you divers out there, if you see plastic or any type of garbage please pick it up and dispose properly. Let's try and keep the oceans and marine life in good shape!

What is unusual that I find now, THE AMOUNT OF PLASTIC AND GARBAGE ON THE BOTTOM!

When I was a kid growing up in Key Largo during the 70's and 80's, we would go diving every day and never ever see plastic or garbage on the bay side or the ocean bottom. Now you see it everywhere, it BS!

For all you divers out there, if you see plastic or any type of garbage please pick it up and dispose properly. Let's try and keep the oceans and marine life in good shape!

Watch A Plastic Ocean if you really want to get upset! Mission Blue and Chasing Coral are also a good watch. I know off topic but everybody should watch!

Watch A Plastic Ocean if you really want to get upset! Mission Blue and Chasing Coral are also a good watch. I know off topic but everybody should watch!

I am familiar with the documentaries, it's really a sad situation! Everybody should watch the films and be enlightened on what's going on in the oceans around the world.

Found a couple of knives. One fairly nice titanium knife. My buddy uses it now.
I found a couple of knives too, and though I like one of them, the Kershaw Sea Hunter, it's of no use for diving since the sheath are missing.

LOL.. speaking of knives...
I lost a knife once. My buddy found it, but didn't know it was mine till I showed him the empty shaft. Then a few months later, I am on a boat off Port Everglades and I lost the knife. Again. Ripping current. Second dive team crawls aboard and she found a knife.. mine.. again.
Sadly, third time's a no charm, and I lost it once and for all...

But finding the gun was fun. Dumb crooks didn't know they tossed the gun over the bridge into what is probably the most dived location in South Florida!!
Dumb cops.. No. Cops aren't dumb. Just the ones that took the gun.. One guy lost his job over it, I hear..

Searching a river for a weapon used in a crime. The side we started on was very silty and had lots of fallen trees and limbs (very difficult search for a relatively small object). After our first dive we were discussing among the divers our "confidence" level that the area could be considered clear (it wasn't great), the deputies overheard us and were pretty upset that THEY were wasting their time. As we walk back up the trail to exchange tanks we heard some commotion and a gunshot. Upon our return with fresh tanks, they happily informed us that it wasn't a complete waste of time because they got some target practice at a snake swimming down the river. :poke: ..Seriously?

Next dive I hit the channel and it turns into a fairly nice pebble and slate bottom with relatively fantastic vis. We get done searching, and one of the deputies makes a smart remark once again about wasting his time. I reach in my BC pocket and throw the freshly shot bullet he fired at the snake in his lap.

It was glorious.

Get back in the truck, my buddy stares a hole through me and asks, how in the world I found that. I told him it was sitting on a large smooth piece of slate, glistening like a flare in the sunlight. Apparently his second dive missed the channel.

Definitely not the most unusual or coolest thing I've ever found, but I enjoy thinking back about it every time people ask me a question like this.

Back
Top Bottom