Buying a used bcd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Happyladydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How can I make sure it works well? I know about orally inflating but how to do that on a strangers bcd? How to clean it after they do it? All of this is already awkward and now we have covid.
What to do please as it looks decent. It’s a woman’s Seaquest Diva QD that’s done about 100 dives she said. Integrated weight pockets which I do want. Thanks folks

Attachments

• 65616F6D-6AB9-4372-8B05-E41C8E3775C5.png
    65616F6D-6AB9-4372-8B05-E41C8E3775C5.png
    328.5 KB · Views: 118
Some manufacturers have plastics longevity issues. The most common failure point is the fitting that the corrugated bcd hose screws on to. So, it can be not so many dives that have been done, but how old the bcd is and probably how it was stored during that period.

You should inflate it fully until the overpressure valve actuates. Do this not with your mouth, but a regset and let it sit overnight. You can also tell if the inflator operates smoothly, which is another common problem with used BCDs. We do that when we test BCDs and have come back the next morning with the fitting fractured due to the plastics issue. You can also see if the bladder itself holds air if the fitting does not fracture.

We had a guy who refused to have his bcd tested before his vacation. On his third giant stride, the bcd failed and according to the diver, he almost drowned. Another guy, same story, but this time on the first giant stride. I had to hold that guy on the surface while another dive dropped his weights.

I like eBay. More buyer protection. I’m looking now.
Wonder if that’s better than buying a cressi starter brand new? I know she says this one is new but I take what people say with a grain of salt. Lol.

Some manufacturers have plastics longevity issues. The most common failure point is the fitting that the corrugated bcd hose screws on to. So, it can be not so many dives that have been done, but how old the bcd is and probably how it was stored during that period.

You should inflate it fully until the overpressure valve actuates. Do this not with your mouth, but a regset and let it sit overnight. You can also tell if the inflator operates smoothly, which is another common problem with used BCDs. We do that when we test BCDs and have come back the next morning with the fitting fractured due to the plastics issue. You can also see if the bladder itself holds air if the fitting does not fracture.

We had a guy who refused to have his bcd tested before his vacation. On his third giant stride, the bcd failed and according to the diver, he almost drowned. Another guy, same story, but this time on the first giant stride. I had to hold that guy on the surface while another dive dropped his weights.

Ok. I think I’ll pass then and go for the one posted above on eBay. Hard to test an item with minutes at their house

eBay one might be a touch small. Back to the drawing board.

Agreed! It is a dinosaur. Found nothing about it. I think a medium size now and on eBay for peace of mind. I can do afterpay too. LOL it is that time of year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom