Inflating dsmb without flying up with it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone with your suggestions.

In retrospect my problem was that I have a large 5 foot SMB and was deploying it in shallow water 5M. I had to let go and let out line before the SMB was even half full. Even on the surface it was not nearly full.

A skinny 100mm closed 1200mm long dsmb, two breaths to fully inflate and hold it until you're ready

In retrospect my problem was that I have a large 5 foot SMB and was deploying it in shallow water 5M. I had to let go and let out line before the SMB was even half full. Even on the surface it was not nearly full.
Indeed, that is not going to work well. If you are at 20m and get dragged to 17m while adding gas it is not the end of the world, shallow will not be the same.

Having a buddy hold the reel is a huge advantage. Get neutral in the water first, add a tiny bit of gas to get the bag stretched out and then exhale as you fill the bag, it doesn’t matter that the gas going into the bag is coming from an octo rather than directly exhaled, it is the timing that counts.

Practice like that and when vaguely confident try entirely yourself, thus you are developing the skill a little at a time.

oesn't everyone have one with the duckbill bottom and an overpressure valve? And a buddy.)

Nope!

I was diving solo today and shot my bag from 28m.

Another point that I will add is that if you're diving dry, open your dump valve first in case you do inadvertently get dragged up a few meters that may upset your buoyancy. Happened to me once.

As others have said send it up from depth and use the gas expansion in your favor. But what I have not heard anyone say is use your wing/bcd to fill your SMB. Especially if you have a bigger 5 foot SMB. I learned this trick when I started diving CCR. I think there are 4 ways to inflate and SMB but I guess its up to you to chose what works best for you. Also kind of depends on what kind of SMB you have. Personally I like the 5 foot bigger ones. I want the visibly and the flotation.
1. Oral inflate. This required you to exhale into the SMB if you have one of those little SMB's that holds almost no air then yes this works. But if you have a bigger SMB you will be trying to exhale a couple breaths into this and if will be super rushed and mess trying to to get pulled up like you said.
2. Purg your reg into it. For bigger SMB this works well but once again its mess and very very rushed and takes a little big or practice to figure out a system that works for you.
3. Using LPI hose. This system works well also same concept as the purg reg method until your practice a lot it can be little messy and very rushed
4. Using your wing/bcd.(this method only works for open bottom SMB's) This is my favorite and I don't think anyone has mentioned it nor have I ever seen OC divers use this method. When your ready to send up your SMB you it unroll clip your reel off to it hold the SMB opening above your head with one hand then you grab you wing/bcd inflator/deflator with the other and put it in the bottom open end of your SMB. Now press the deflate button with one hand while holding on to the SMB with the other and dump all the gas from your wing into your SMB. Now you have simply just transferred all the gas from your wing to you SMB you are still neutrally buoyant your not rushed your not getting pulled to the surface etc this is a very slow casual easy task. When you are ready you can casually grab your reel let go of the SMB and off it goes to the surface. The only thing is you need to remember to inflate the second you let go of your SMB since you have no gas in your wing.

The last method I described I think is the easiest and the least stressful way to send up and SMB. It is very controlled, slow, casual, and safe. This method also has many benefits if your on CC. Oral inflate is just not really an effective option, purg the reg or using LPI hose this is how I use to send up SMB's yes these 2 methods work as you could simply just use a bail out regs or an off board LPI or a dry suit LPI but once again this method is pretty rushed and seems like there is room for error to get entangled in your line and pulled to the surface, plus why waste the gas usually my bail outs are only Trimix and deco gases. This is just a really quick easy and casual way to send up an SMB. You just grab your SMB deflate into it the send it away. You don't have to mess around with pulling out bail out regs or LPI then trying to rush fill the thing and let it go really fast so it does not pull you up then deal with stuffing regs and LPI back into tank band etc.

You hold the smb with one hand above your head, you work the inflator with the other hand and then you drop the spool and allow the line to wrap around your body as you hold (and then release) the smb above you? I think that is what I would end up doing and risk getting tangled up.

I try to keep everything in front of me and at arms length if I can.

You hold the smb with one hand above your head, you work the inflator with the other hand and then you drop the spool and allow the line to wrap around your body as you hold (and then release) the smb above you? I think that is what I would end up doing and risk getting tangled up.

I try to keep everything in front of me and at arms length if I can.

No you use some common sense obviously the reel is clipped off

Around minute 1:35 show a good example of how its is done.
<iframe width="768" height="432" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No you use some common sense obviously the reel is clipped off

Around minute 1:35 show a good example of how its is done.
<iframe width="768" height="432" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Big difference of tech diving verses rec diving. In tec diving, sometimes we'll hold onto the inflated SMB to get us a kickstart in our ascent - sometimes we even ride the SMB up to our first stop. Also in tec diving, you generally have more air in your wing than a rec diver does so you can do that gas transfer from the wing to smb.

My suggestion for rec diving SMB inflation is keep it as simple as possible, do it as quick as possible. Accept these facts - if you want to remain neutral during and after filling it, you will only get one breath in the SMB, not two or three - one and only one. How full the thing is at the surface is directly related to the size of the smb and the depth you released it - if you demand it be full, get a smaller one or inflate it deeper. Keep it simple.

I think there are 4 ways to inflate and SMB but I guess its up to you to chose what works best for you.
How about #5, directing your exhaled bubbles into the DSMB/lift-bag's bottom? This method works quite well for maintaining buoyancy while on OC, and it's the method my tec instructor recommends.

Back
Top Bottom