Help with first torch purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CapnBloodbeard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
Hoping to get some thoughts. Looking to buy some lights for my wife, Christmas present. In Australia so our stock options are limited (I think at least half of what I see you guys recommend on here just isn't available down under).

So, we do some night diving, some day....don't tend to go diving in overly murky water (and if we were, I suppose all of these might be too weak anyway), thinking want a wide for night diving and a spot for day diving, but also considering a couple of the changeable focus torches (Mares was just way too big and bulky, I think....)

So, I've narrowed it down to....

Bigblue CF1200P-II
- Changeable focus, variable intensity....however it's only 37deg on its widest setting.....is that too narrow?

Tovatec Fusion 1050
- While the 1500 would be a good option for more power, it is just getting a bit bulky, I think...this one is a bit more reasonable (173x31mm, 273g empty)

- adjustable angle 12-100 deg, several power levels, however it doesn't last all that long - 2.5 hrs on AAA, or 1.5 hours on 18650....can recharge in the camera, but with a 7hr charge time I think I'd just get an external charger or two....

- push button light

BigBlue AL450N / AL1200W pack
- wide has variable intensity, narrow doesn't.....450 enough for a spot? Too much without variable intensity?

Then there are a couple of Atorch....CV06 (push button, 900lm....wide ), S4 (1000lm, beam width unknown), TC05 (800lm, spot).....not sure what the beam width is on these and I don't know about the constantly variable slide switch, not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, but the complete lack of reviews of this brand online is pointing me away...

Also, X-Adventurer M650, for a small 650lm spot, no variable intensity though....

Bigblue CF1200P-II
- Changeable focus, variable intensity....however it's only 37deg on its widest setting.....is that too narrow?

That is what I dive with just got it a couple weeks ago, so far only 3 night dives bit used several times to look into dark corners.

I like it, variable intensity, SOS mode and I seldom open it up to the full 37 degree. Normally just use at or close to the narrowest setting.

My back up night dive light is just a cheap no name brand, works good but the switch is a slider and often gets turned on accidentally.

I have a BigBlue AL450N somewhere and it is a 'meh' light. I sometimes take it as a backup because it is so small and stubby. But it's really quite dim and loses its highest output very quickly. It feels rather cheap, and whilst it does have the push button (which I think is an absolute must), I don't think the positioning on the end is very convenient.

I am, however, fond of the Sealife Sea Dragon Mini 900 because:
- Top mounted push button with colour LED battery status indicator
- Sturdy and tiny full anodized aluminium housing, 130g (-100g in water), extremely low profile for the 900 lumens, no bulk at all when clipped off
- rechargeable Li-ion
- 3 brightness modes and 2 signal modes
- obvious 3 flashes when you turn the light off, to confirm that it is off
- 100m rating and pressure release valve, always keeps a perfect seal with quality machined threads
- beam is 14 degrees (10 under water) which I prefer to look into nooks
- Battery life not a problem on full power using it on and off to scope out nooks in the daytime, or for having it on throughout two night dives on half or even quarter power.

Whilst I am in Australia, I can't point you to a shop because I picked it up in Germany, but I am sure someone would have it.

I dug it out so here is the BB AL450N next to the Sea Dragon 900

Even though the BB is shorter, the sleeker profile makes the SD easier to live with.

Attachments

• IMG_1587.jpeg
    IMG_1587.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 136
I don't know your specific lights, but 37deg is more than enough if you are using it to look at stuff. Wider is only good for night time video out to a couple of meters max and selfies.

I'm a big fan of tovatec because of the on-body charging port. I'm lazy and don't like carrying a separate charger. The burn times are short though, maybe an hour at full. I use the TL1000 spot. Not sure if you can get Dive Rite over there but if you can, try out the cx1 or cx2 series.

Enjoy your summer.

Dive-Rite LX20+

I have no experience with those brands you mentioned as they are expensive for me. I found Chinese torches are good (price and quality). I purchased many Brynite, XTAR and Archon flashlights several years ago with satisfied result. Brynite was bloody cheap at that time. Sadly that now brynite changed its brand and new brand is expensive IMO. XTAR and Archon are also good brands with reliable products at reasonable price. You can buy online from Aliexpress.

For recreation diving (not photography and video), I would suggest min 1000lm torch with 18650, 21700 or 26650 battery rather than AA since they are much brighter. If you don't like Chinese brand, Fenix SD20 is a good one. (big reputable brand, good quality, reasonable price, bright and small) But you need to buy good battery and charger which are also cheap.

I just look at this XTAR D26 flashlight last night. looks interesting in terms of throw, flood, operating time, size, and price. Since I have no experience with xhp50.2 emitter for underwater so i can't tell the performance but for normal flashlight, I personally like Cree xhp emitter more than xm-l2. This is the only diving light, that I found, uses xhp led.

【New Product】XTAR D26 2500 Dive Light | BudgetLightForum.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom