Is this new technology for repairing damaged reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw this article in nytimes.com today and wonder if this is a known and proven technology for piecing together damaged corals? I know there are programs to help restore reefs, but am not sure if this is how new coral growth is attached to reefs for regrowth efforts. This may be old news, and if so, the MODs can delete.

A Race Against Time to Rescue a Reef From Climate Change

Reactions: OTF
I saw this article in nytimes.com today and wonder if this is a known and proven technology for piecing together damaged corals? I know there are programs to help restore reefs, but am not sure if this is how new coral growth is attached to reefs for regrowth efforts. This may be old news, and if so, the MODs can delete.

A Race Against Time to Rescue a Reef From Climate Change
No. Not new technology. People have been fragging, cutting and gluing corals together and on to rocks for decades. Hell, they've been grafting corals of the same species but different colors for years as well.

I use super glue gel in my reef tank. Some people use JB weld or some other type of underwater two part epoxy sticks.

No. Not new technology. People have been fragging, cutting and gluing corals together and on to rocks for decades. Hell, they've been grafting corals of the same species but different colors for years as well.

I use super glue gel in my reef tank. Some people use JB weld or some other type of underwater two part epoxy sticks.

Thank you @CuzzA. If would be very rewarding to participate in a coral restoration project. That would be a tremendous learning opportunity as well as doing something constructive to help the reefs, in addition to being very careful not to touch anything on the reef and not using sunscreen.

Thank you @CuzzA. If would be very rewarding to participate in a coral restoration project. That would be a tremendous learning opportunity as well as doing something constructive to help the reefs, in addition to being very careful not to touch anything on the reef and not using sunscreen.

There's nothing stopping anyone. After a storm head to the reef with some epoxy and start rebuilding. :)

Growing coral to be glued back onto the reef takes money, so for those projects donations are where you can make the biggest contribution unless of course you're close and can volunteer.

I often donate to Coral Restoration Foundation

proven technology for piecing together damaged corals

Here in the Key's, resorting and repairing the reefs has been going on for years with a number of methods. As CuzzA stated the Coral Restoration Foundation is a top notch organization and Reef.org is another and has reef repair dives that restore and grow reefs from fragging and other methods.

The University of Miami has a program called 'Rescue a Reef' and are very involved with coral restoration Rescue a Reef | University of Miami UM has a research station at Broad Key, this is a 63-acre island just off the coast of Key Largo.

The university has expeditions that anyone can go and learn about coral reef research and conservation while working alongside University of Miami scientists to help restore local coral populations.

If anyone comes down here on vacation to the Key's, check out one of the reef organizations, go on a few outings. Guarantee you will see amazing fish and have a grate time restoring the reefs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom