Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Different likes for sure.
I never could adapt to the cold, maybe because I new it was just temporarily for me.
Below 39? Not water, not air, not even my drinks are that cold.
Just wait till the water gets hard

Finally after 4 of the longest weeks ever there was diving today!

Forecast called 2 to 3 with. 5 second period. Felt like fast 5 seconds but very much doable from our boat.

Visibility was on the poor side, I couldn't see the reef until I was about 10' above it. Of course the eyes adjust after a moment at depth.
Water was considerably colder than my last dive, mask said 79°F, the computer 82°F I think it was somewhere in between. Definetly last dive without neoprene until Feb-March, I should've taken the lavacore top but didn't think of it until we were almost at the inlet. Fortunately it was still liquid, unlike the hard stuff @shoredivr speaks of.

I was using a borrowed steel HP80, didn't care for it, maybe I'm used to feel heavy with the HP100 but i was halfway concerened that the safety stop was gonna be a bit of a struggle. It was fine but I also came up with over 1100psi because I was cold.
I borrowed the tank to see if it would be a good option for me. Always trying to be prepared for the day I can't safely carry the 100's , but for now those 80's are not for me, if I felt kinda floaty without neoprene, next week with a 3 mil I'd need more lead than I care to carry.
The current was going north but almost non existent, made for a pleasant slow dive.
There was tons of fish, a lobster committed suicide and I also saw something pretty weird. A small fish from the wrasse family had a stick in his mouth perpendicular to his body, I first thought maybe he was impaled somehow, couldn't see very well ...didn't appear to be but who knows... tried to take the stick but i couldn't . It looked like a dog with his stick going places. Never seen that before.

So this didn't go to my top 10 dives but i loved every second of it. I feel wonderfull, as if my batteries are fully charged to face life again.
This long dry period was getting to me, not gonna risk it but i think I'm even ready to watch the news.
Go diving people, it is a great thing we can do.

Mukilteo, WA at night. Abandoned a GoPro outside an octopus den and then came back to retrieve it an hour later. I doubt the octopus came out because when I returned a very fat harbor seal had found my lights and was using them to hunt the area. But maybe I got lucky and captured some macro seal video.

Another decent day, wife is doing her dive and I'm chilling, viz was about 40+', only issue was the nurse who circled me the entire dive. Oh, my computer showed the water temp at 78°, coño, gonna have to break out the 3 mil, I got cold. Yes this is suffering. She's up, gotta go.....

Attachments

• 16071962758486874666748891626743.jpg
    16071962758486874666748891626743.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 84
I just got back from Bahamas and Turks 21 of 23 dives solo. Not a bad week.

Juliet repo trip through Bahamas: Bimini, Nassau, Conception, Hogsty, West Caicos.

First wet "Winter" dive of the season--Eastern Passage, NS. Water temp. 56F and Air 42F. Can't complain. Come May, those two temps. reverse.....

Took a few U-turns at the inlet since the 1st, but today is nice and flat, temperatures both air and water are below my liking but the first dive of the year are done for me and my husband. Would've been nice to dive together but solo was good too.

Water is in the mid to low 70's and viz was less than optimal but i as expecting it with so many days in a row of rough seas. But the colors and most of the marine life was there to celebrate the New Year with me.
Very few boats out, I guess people are working, I was concerned about how much leave would have to use, but wasnt going to start working in 2021 without diving first. Now i feel ready to face the world... at least for the rest of the week.

Happy New Year everyone, go diving!

Well, I did go diving, up to Wiarton, water temp was 37F and great viz. Last day before Another Covid Lockdown in this province. At least the water was a beautiful turquoise blue, and the sunlight was bouncing off the ripples in the small amount of sand near the old Fish Hatchery site.

Back
Top Bottom