Pony Bottle Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been solo diving for over a year now and just completed the SDI solo course this last saturday. The course was a good one but I would not say that the course will give you.the confidence to solo dive, you have to develop that confidence in your own and execute a lot of self study and drilling. Not trying to discourage the course, just don’t think it is enough by itself to build confidence.
I don't disagree. Pretty much all of my dives have been solo or same ocean diving and I have no doubt one of those solo diver courses would do me little benefit. That said, a good instructor, likely a technical instructor could give someone the skills and tips needed to get out of just about any jam. That can bring about confidence. I think working dives also help a lot. Once a diver learns to multitask as if they're on land everything becomes much easier. Then again I'm sure there are many people where it simply doesn't matter, they should have a buddy for the mental reassurance, and there's nothing wrong with that. A person needs to recognize their capabilities, strengths and weaknesses.

I don't disagree. Pretty much all of my dives have been solo or same ocean diving and I have no doubt one of those solo diver courses would do me little benefit. That said, a good instructor, likely a technical instructor could give someone the skills and tips needed to get out of just about any jam. That can bring about confidence. I think working dives also help a lot. Once a diver learns to multitask as if they're on land everything becomes much easier. Then again I'm sure there are many people where it simply doesn't matter, they should have a buddy for the mental reassurance, and there's nothing wrong with that. A person needs to recognize their capabilities, strengths and weaknesses.

I think that’s what it boils down to. Some people are just not going to be comfortable diving without a buddy. As you said...there’s nothing wrong with that.

“A man’s got to know his limitations.” ~Harry Callahan.

@CuzzA & @Barnaby'sDad, I agree with both of you. I may find after a few runs that I prefer diving with buddies. Although, there have been a few dives I’ve been on where I really wish I had been by myself because I was more interested in the ray that my buddy just swam over without noticing, etc. Flip side, there are those times where it’s great to be able to talk about all you saw with someone who was there. It will be an interesting journey.

Quick update, I bought the full set. Getting the additional second stage plus hose for sixty dollars more made it hard to pass up. Going to order a button gauge from Dive Gear Express or Piranha to complete the stage set. Know anyone in the Providence/Boston area wanting to part ways with an Al 30?

Thanks, again, for all of the input!

Erik

Keep in mind too that a pony bottle isn’t just for solo. A solo diver needs to develop, for lack of a better term, an independent mind set (and skills) that tend to stick with you while buddy diving as well, Can serve you well whether solo or buddy diving. One reason I like the smaller bottles, I am more likely to carry it on all my dives when diving Florida. And for air travel (back in the good ol’ days).

One reason I like the smaller bottles, I am more likely to carry it on all my dives when diving Florida. And for air travel (back in the good ol’ days.
I've been struggling with this -- basically between a 13 and 19 for flying. I know more gas is better, but 13 is better than none, and I'm wondering if I would be as likely to fly with a 19. Seems like even without a pony bottle my luggage is already near the max, but perhaps I could shift a few heavier items to my carry-on. But I am counting every pound at this point.

I've been struggling with this -- basically between a 13 and 19 for flying. I know more gas is better, but 13 is better than none, and I'm wondering if I would be as likely to fly with a 19. Seems like even without a pony bottle my luggage is already near the max, but perhaps I could shift a few heavier items to my carry-on. But I am counting every pound at this point.
We started with 13’s. Eric has moved to a 19 for local but we still fly with the 13. Like you, we push the limits on weight.

Solo I'm prepared to perhaps concede a maximum two or four solo divers each at different ends of a wreck or site
seeing each other perhaps once or twice during the dive including on a line or mid water, doing deco or ascending

But Solo is about ridding yourself of your concerns about what's around the corner, giving you the heebie jeebies!

On a majestic shore dive where you are the only being within miles or from a boat by yourself against all elements

Including why the active mind chooses to be right out there devising some of these predicaments in the first place

Back
Top Bottom