Vehicle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm contemplating getting into a new truck or SUV. I haven't bought a new vehicle in a long time and something about the new keys has me concerned.

What do you do with the key when you go in the water? Most places I dive are relatively safe, but there have been a few places I don't think I want to leave the key in an accessible location, and given the whole pushbutton start thing I'm at a loss for what to do with the keys so that I don't drown the keys accidentally and I come back to my vehicle being there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You get a valet key. Opens the door. Doesn’t have the electronics in the fob. That’s what I have. Real key stays in the car. Some people have fancier things but I don’t know about those.

You get a valet key. Opens the door. Doesn’t have the electronics in the fob. That’s what I have. Real key stays in the car. Some people have fancier things but I don’t know about those.

I do that. Below is another option. Lock it to the hitch or door handle.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Key-Lock-Box-p/mklb.htm

I took an old smallish dive light rated to 300ft, took out the batteries. The space is big enough for my keys. I clip it inside my outside drysuit pocket. Works well. Lube the o-ring.

With pushbutton start, there is typically no real key (never mind valet key.) The key fob won't let you lock it the car. If it's outside the car but close, anyone can open the car.

My key fob has a tiny little keylike thing that pulls out and can open the door via one tiny hole. Then it can start the car if you hold it really close to the right spot when pushing the button. It's meant for when your key fob dies. Possibly you could wrap the key fob in foil or use one of those faraday pouches, and take the tiny key thing, but I'm not sure if you can also lock it with the tiny key, or if that's actually waterproof either. Presumably more so than the main fob, but not sure if they appreciate a bath.

Or you can attach the keyfob outside the car, while in some faraday pouch. I think they make products intended for this, but you have to trust it doesn't get found. Or find an actual secure way to do this.

It's a PITA. I vote for putting in an empty dive light or other canister you trust. When I'm on the water I use a drybag.

With pushbutton start, there is typically no real key (never mind valet key.) The key fob won't let you lock it the car. If it's outside the car but close, anyone can open the car.

My key fob has a tiny little keylike thing that pulls out and can open the door via one tiny hole. Then it can start the car if you hold it really close to the right spot when pushing the button. It's meant for when your key fob dies. Possibly you could wrap the key fob in foil or use one of those faraday pouches, and take the tiny key thing, but I'm not sure if you can also lock it with the tiny key, or if that's actually waterproof either. Presumably more so than the main fob, but not sure if they appreciate a bath.

Or you can attach the keyfob outside the car, while in some faraday pouch. I think they make products intended for this, but you have to trust it doesn't get found. Or find an actual secure way to do this.

It's a PITA. I vote for putting in an empty dive light or other canister you trust. When I'm on the water I use a drybag.
When I try that my alarm likes to go off until I can open the car, recover the real key and unlock it again with the press button.

What I do is give the key to someone responsible at the site. Or I put it someone else’s car, that is great until they drive off with it...

I like the RF blocking idea though.

I dive with a drysuit, and my undergarments have a pocket. So I crack the windows in my truck, lock it, stick the keys in my pocket, gear up, and dive.

When I was diving wet, I would typically leave a heap of dive crap laying around in the bed of the truck. And I just tucked my keys underneath something that didn't look too appetizing to steal, like a grocery bag full of lead. Never had any problems.

This has been discussed to death here on SB, and includes using old camera or flashlight housings, and some specialty cases designed for the use if you really need to carry it with you.

I wear the valet key I got cut on a neck lanyard, and lock the chip key in the truck. Some chip keys do not let you do this, so there is a faraday cage bag you can put the key in to block this (search amazon). I also have, and use that key lock box from @MAKO Spearguns linked above, and like it very much. Gives a second person access to the key.

these work well since whatever vehicle you get in SUV/Truck world should have a hitch...
https://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS...=1&keywords=hitch+vault&qid=1606828148&sr=8-2

Other than that, the key pads for Fords are great and will let you lock the keys in your vehicle which wasn't necessarily a buying decision when I bought my Expedition over a Suburban, but if it came down to a deal breaker, it would have tipped it over. I really don't know why more manufacturers don't use them, but whatever.

I assume the lock-box functions as a "Faraday" box. Anyone know for sure?

The car keys became an issue on our last trip to Bonaire. Not super high tech keys but they had a chip in them that we were afraid to get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom