Looking for a small SS backplate and can’t decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your aversion to using an STA?

I am not a fan of them but that none of my setups require one.

If you are going to shell out dough for a halcyon, perhaps look into a small size freedom plate.

-Z
I am in the queue for a freedom plate but looks like a long way out.
I’ve never used an STA but I’d rather not use another piece of gear if I don’t have to. Plus the extra weight of an STA May make me too heavy.

I am in the queue for a freedom plate but looks like a long way out.
I’ve never used an STA but I’d rather not use another piece of gear if I don’t have to. Plus the extra weight of an STA May make me too heavy.

Standard STA maybe weighs 2lbs. If you’re so concerned about two pounds maybe you should be looking at an aluminum plate.

Standard STA maybe weighs 2lbs. If you’re so concerned about two pounds maybe you should be looking at an aluminum plate.
The goal is to create enough ballast to not have to utilize extra lead, not to cut weight in my rig.
I have an aluminum backplate now.

They do have these Helium Dive - Fly Trim Weight System which would reduce the on belt weight but is still a pocket weight.

Those look nice too.

I started using something similar made by Techline that attaches to the cam straps and slide against the plate. They work well:
upload_2020-12-1_9-50-41.png

upload_2020-12-1_9-51-35.png

-Z

NESS has the Small SS plates. OxyCheq Stainless Steel Backplate -- Medium

The ones that I've seen have 2 sets of camband slots (despite the old pictures), but call to confirm and that they are still in stock.

I recall discussing this with John when I was searching for a solution for my wife and I believe he said the picture was outdated and double checked to confirm the plates had slots for cam straps. He stated that he used a small steel plate as the template to machine the cam strap slot/slots in the aluminum plates. In the end I went with a Subgravity plate sourced through DRIS because the overall cost was better.

From my discussion with John/NESS, he mentioned he bought the entire run of the OxyCheq small plates at the time and stated he does not plan to restock them when they run out...if I recall correctly he only had a couple size small plates left....I can't remember if he was referring to their small plates in general, the aluminum ones, or the stainless steel ones.

Best to call him directly and check on any concerns one might have, but don't go by the picture of the steel plates on the site as it is old/outdated.

I am toying with purchasing an aluminum one from him for one of my daughters who is also vertically challenged as her HOG plate is a bit too long for her.

-Z

If you’re looking to drop any added weight the first step is knowing what this small plate actually weighs, my guess is it will come in under 4lb and a short STA won’t put you over 5 and will make life much easier for tank changes but for less weight pick a wing with built in roll control, to keep the DR wing look for something like this
Soft Single Tank Adaptor (STA) with Book Screws

I am considering a few options.
As I dive on a 15.7” long aluminum backplate now and it’s feels ok, the standard Halcyon steel plate may work. It’s 15.3” tall. This would forego having to use an STA as it has slots built in. I fear the additional 2.2 lbs for the STA may overweight me. (I use 4-6 lbs in pockets and the aluminum plate is 1.10 lbs).
Another option is an Oxycheq small steel plate that is 4 lbs and 13” long. The medium is 5 lbs and 15” long. I would probably need to add a bit of weight.

1. Standard Halcyon steel plate no STA (6 lbs) possibly no extra weight needed
2. Small Halcyon steel plate with STA (7 lbs) (maybe slightly overweighted)
3. Small Oxycheq steel plate (4 lbs) would need extra weight
4. Medium Oxycheq steel plate (5lbs) would need extra weight

Would a smaller bp be better? Feel different? I don’t know. I’ve never tried one. I almost always have a 3 or 5mm wetsuit on. If it’s very warm, a Lavacore suit.

I am still waiting to see how far from the top of the list I am for the Freedom plate. Those are 3 lbs but I think the comfort difference would be pretty big. Maybe??

ETA: I found some lighter weight STA’s. Paired with the small Halcyon, could work best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom