Looking for a small SS backplate and can’t decide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GirlonFire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At the moment, I am diving with a HOG aluminum backplate and a Dive Rite Travel EXP wing (25lbs). I don’t use an STA as I use screws to attach the 2 and thread the cam bands through both.
Can I skip the STA with both a Halcyon short steel backplate and an Xdeep small nx backplate?
I did look at the Oxycheq small steel plate also but it doesn’t have slots.

My goal is to use a smaller plate (I’m barely 5’3”) and and drop weights from my belt. I use 4-6 lbs of lead depending on thermal protection and would prefer to not use any extra lead or just add a bit to my tank straps. A steel plate would be about 4 lbs more than my current plate.
I was entertaining the idea of buying an Xdeep zen system but haven’t pulled the plug.
I am happy with the wing but am not opposed to a new one.
I only travel to dive in warm water but saving gear weight for travel is not a huge concern as I usually check a bag.
Thanks.

Subgravity makes/markets a short stainless backplate for @ $94US. I bought one for my wife (she is 5ft 2in tall) a handful of months ago. Her current setup is a dive rite voyager exp wing, no sta. The voyager wing eclipses the small size plate but that would be true for just about any wing with small size plate...and it doesn't help that my wife is vertically challenged as it make the wing and 12L long tank look humongous on here...but she loves how the system dives compared to a fullsize hog aluminum wing or her aqualung pearl BCD:

Here is the discussion thread I started back then:
Short/small backplate

Here are pictures with measurements of the subgravity size small plate and my fullsize dive rite plate. Our kids have HOG plates and they are relatively the same size as the Dive Rite one I have.

Subgravity size small plate with measurements:
upload_2020-7-30_11-30-41-png.601317.png

upload_2020-7-31_23-36-27-png.601676.png

Standard size Dive Rite plate with measurements
slide2-jpg.605343.jpg

slide1-jpg.605344.jpg

-Z

What?

Subgravity makes/markets a short stainless backplate for @ $94US. I bought one for my wife (she is 5ft 2in tall) a handful of months ago. Her current setup is a dive rite voyager exp wing, no sta. The voyager wing eclipses the small size plate but that would be true for just about any wing with small size plate...and it doesn't help that my wife is vertically challenged as it make the wing and 12L long tank look humongous on here...but she loves how the system dives compared to a fullsize hog aluminum wing or her aqualung pearl BCD:

Here is the discussion thread I started back then:
Short/small backplate

Here are pictures with measurements of the subgravity size small plate and my fullsize dive rite plate. Our kids have HOG plates and they are relatively the same size as the Dive Rite one I have.

View attachment 627728

View attachment 627729

View attachment 627730
View attachment 627731

-Z
Yes, I did look at Sub Gravity as well but the small 3mm steel late is out of stock.

For reference a normal xDeep Ghost plate is 18 inches while their short plate is 16 inches.

Nx plates are radically different than everyone else’s. The waist straps are higher and they don’t have the same type of slots.

I don’t think that you can use the nx plate without a STA. You could weave a tank band thru the waist strap slots, but it might be a bit distorted.

Yes, I did look at Sub Gravity as well but the small 3mm steel late is out of stock.

Check with DRIS (dive rite in scuba) they do not sell it on their website but will sell it as a special sale item from their shops if you call the number on their website or contact them using the chat feature on their site.

I paid $94 with free shipping.

-Z

For reference a normal xDeep plate is 18 inches while their short plate is 16 inches.
Thanks for that.
Maybe the Halcyon would be best as it is 14”...

To the other part of my question, would an STA be needed?

Here is the contact info for the person at DRIS that I worked with...the discussion started on their site's chat feature and then migrated to a phone conversation with email follow-ups...great customer servivce:

Kasia W.
Online Sales
Dive Right in Scuba
24222 Lockport St
Plainfield, IL 60544
815-267-8400

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom