Air Integrated or non-air integrated computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to do AI and quit years ago. xmitter problems were the plague. batteries going dead from constant transmitting from reg pressure building up to turn on pressure. I had to quit tightening my yoke to allow venting through the dist cap to stop triggering the turn on PSI. PSI errors from 250 to 350 psi on the low end or through out the range. Hopefully those problems have been resolved and higher turn on pressures are now used. Yes the info is nice to see but not necessary to have. the repairs were 125 a year each on the xmitters. I still have 2 sitting in the drawer covered with dust. I have been asked for them as freebees but I wont even give them away. 4 xmitters four predictable failure units. I really hope they are making them better.
What transmitters are these? tThey certainly work better than this, I have had a excellent experience over 18 years.

What transmitters are these? tThey certainly work better than this, I have had a excellent experience over 18 years.
THESE WERE USED WITH AERIS ADN OCIANIC UNITS. The constant turn on aspect I fixed by leaving the dust cap off the reg for the first day but the psi inaccuracy was haunting. I had 4 AI's and at least 1-2 each year went in to get a new PSI sensor to make it read right. I had hoped that perhaps it was from being powered on for days at a time that caused it. Noty the case What drew me to find the units turned on was the battery was dead each weekend and had to be replaced. I then found it out exactly by turning on my AI computer and found data was being received. when I took off the dist cap i always got a pffft come from it. The regs were MK25's.

THESE WERE USED WITH AERIS ADN OCIANIC UNITS. The constant turn on aspect I fixed by leaving the dust cap off the reg for the first day but the psi inaccuracy was haunting. I had 4 AI's and at least 1-2 each year went in to get a new PSI sensor to make it read right. I had hoped that perhaps it was from being powered on for days at a time that caused it. Noty the case What drew me to find the units turned on was the battery was dead each weekend and had to be replaced. I then found it out exactly by turning on my AI computer and found data was being received. when I took off the dist cap i always got a pffft come from it. The regs were MK25's.
I'm surprised you had such bad luck with Pelagic Pressure Systems MH8A transmitters. Most people have had a better experience. I have dived mine with an MK25 1st stage sine 2010; What did you do, switch to another brand of AI or quit diving AI? Not sure how you kept your 1st pressured up?

I'm surprised you had such bad luck with Pelagic Pressure Systems MH8A transmitters. Most people have had a better experience. I have dived mine with an MK25 1st stage sine 2010; What did you do, switch to another brand of AI or quit diving AI? Not sure how you kept your 1st pressured up?
I quit diving AI. found I really did not need the additional information. I went to a shearwater predator and never looked back. I might find some use on my compressor for them as a novelty item. Many have asked if i will give them and the ARIRES computers t3 and t3 elite away. for a decade I have always declined. LIke giving a mechanic a broken untrustworthy jack stand to use.

Not common AI transmitter damage when directly connected to 1st stage | ScubaBoard and you would imagine that posters with damage would preferentially report. This is one on many diving myths, debunked with even the simplest data.
Whether a potential problem is “common” isn’t the only factor relevant to whether one should prepare for the problem. If it’s happening (which it is), and if the cost of even an uncommon incident is high, then there’s nothing wrong with someone wanting a little insurance.

If your “data” is just a Scubaboard poll, you might rethink using such a scientific word in conjunction with an information gathering device that is useless in any scientific sense. And if you do think Scubaboard polls provide an accurate view of the real world, then you’d have to consider the other Scubaboard poll that said that 40% or so use extension hoses for their transmitters. If that’s true, then of course damage reports will be low.

I just use something cheap and simple, from Amazon:
upload_2020-11-29_18-13-15.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom