Triple Tank, Triple Manifolds!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember from the 60's that 5000psi tanks were going to become the standard of the industry. No one actually could pump up a cylinder to that pressure since the 72 steel was the industry standard, and that was 2250 psi service. 5000 psi air was available in Europe, and a pretty small set of doubles could hold a nice chunk of air. I remember watching those Cousteau shows with the triple-tank rig. They were the coolest things in my opinion then. I also dreamed about owning one of those orange French Bouee Fenzy bc's with the tiny little bottle of compressed air on it.
The reality of maintaining compressors at 5000psi service was too difficult, plus the resulting liabilites when a bad cylinder would light off. It was bad enough when a steel 72 exploded - the damage from a 5000psi cylinder wold really be something.
The only time I've seen high presssure service in regular use was in the Navy where we were tapped into the sub base 4500psi submarine service lines at Pearl Harbor.

Tom Winters:
I remember from the 60's that 5000psi tanks were going to become the standard of the industry. No one actually could pump up a cylinder to that pressure since the 72 steel was the industry standard, and that was 2250 psi service. 5000 psi air was available in Europe, and a pretty small set of doubles could hold a nice chunk of air. I remember watching those Cousteau shows with the triple-tank rig. They were the coolest things in my opinion then. I also dreamed about owning one of those orange French Bouee Fenzy bc's with the tiny little bottle of compressed air on it.
The reality of maintaining compressors at 5000psi service was too difficult, plus the resulting liabilites when a bad cylinder would light off. It was bad enough when a steel 72 exploded - the damage from a 5000psi cylinder wold really be something.
The only time I've seen high presssure service in regular use was in the Navy where we were tapped into the sub base 4500psi submarine service lines at Pearl Harbor.
I think that was one of the reasons I remembered so well reading of the 5000psi tanks, I maintained 4500psi Ingersol-Rand compressors on my submarine and couldn't imagine the upkeep on an even higher pressure compressor.
The final stage on the I-R was always going out. Usually on the machine that was hardest to get to for maintenance.
But still, it seemed a really neat idea, so much air, such compact bottles.

Tom

Tom

I will have to look at my notes on what years the 5000psi Cousteau sets were used. Generally speaking it was from the 80's to the 90's. There were several problems with the high psi tanks. The first was the fact that they were very positively buoyant. This meant a lot of extra weight on the belt. The smaller light weight tanks did little to counteract the buoyancy of the air. The other problem was corrosion with the special alloys used to make the tanks. They did have one set explode on the back of the Calypso. Prior to the 5000psi tanks they were using 300bar or 4351 psi for many years. Those tanks were made from the same alloys used in the diving saucer.
-Ryan

I have a set of the triple tanks by US DIvers that you are talking about and can send you photos if you'd like. Under the category of "everything is for sale at a price", I would be willing to sell them if anyone is interested.

Pete
petevzz@aol.com

What a find! I recently picked up a triple tank manifold, but I can find absolutely NO information on these. This one has a black plastic open/closed knob, so I assume it is post-1970s (as opposed to the old triple rigs Cousteau used). The guy I bought it from said it's a US Divers manifold, but there are no markings on the rig. Viewed from the top, the manifold is shaped like a 'V' to conform to one's back. The first stage yoke mounts on the far right side of the manifold, as opposed to the center. I picked it up assuming there must be spare bands, packs, etc. for this beast. I have yet to find anything - not even a picture of one in action. I asked the team over at DECA Diving here in Santa Barbara, but they did not have any information. I believe this rig took three 30s. The trail stops there! Anyone have some insight?[/QUOTE]

The late 60s, early 70s had the AGAs with 4400psi bottles, the critters held about 80cf in 2 bottles about 5" in diameter. Talk about sweet balance.
Judging from their weight I'd estimate them to have close to a 1/2" sidewall.
I still have a set stashed away in Wisconsin, never could find a place to get a decent fill, though the fire departments have some decent HP compressors nowdays.

Hello,
Pardon because I do not know the English language...
I am very interested in buying a yellow helmet and careened box, also yellow that the commander cousteau used in his documentary ones would thank for much any information.
j.Dani (Spain)

Dear Ryan:
I am interested in buying a helmet silverplated like yours (reproduction, yes).
You can make a unit for me, please?
My email is: biman58@hotmail.com.
Spake of the price,and other details, ok?.
Postscript: you are interested in making the reproduction of the yellow helmet and yellow housing? I would love to get a yellow helmet and the housing...
the expenses of production you and I will pay between

Sorry, I do not dominate the English language...

Regards
J.DANI (Spain)

I have one of these ABS units, complete and working. I've been diving it since 1991.

As luck would have it, I have just been taking photos of the unit ready to list it on eBay.

Update: I've tried several times to upload the pics but it hasn't worked....

Dear to sir OUTDOOR:

Firstly, thank you very much to write to me. I would like to see the photos of your equipment, please. My e-mail is biman58@hotmail.com

Also I would like to know how much does it coust...
If I like I will pay al to you counted (bank to order -transfer-, ok??)

To the delay of your news, it receives a warm greeting

J.DANI

G'day Dani,

The ABS has been sold.... I was surprised at the amount of interest in it, to be honest.

It didn't get listed on eBay. It was sold on word of mouth, so to speak.

Regards,

Bob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom