Venture Heated Vest - on sale; any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After looking at their website I saw the 40watt version with front and rear heating elements and a wireless controller. Amazon has it for $50 less so I ordered it and received it in one day. Merry has the Thermolution and her only complaint is that her chest still gets cold. She tried on mine and it was a little big. I think she could use it but she wants to try hers on backward during our next dive. I have a feeling I may not get to dive with my new toy very often. :(

After looking at their website I saw the 40watt version with front and rear heating elements and a wireless controller. Amazon has it for $50 less so I ordered it and received it in one day. Merry has the Thermolution and her only complaint is that her chest still gets cold. She tried on mine and it was a little big. I think she could use it but she wants to try hers on backward during our next dive. I have a feeling I may not get to dive with my new toy very often. :(

Do you see what I mean about the stiffness of the one with the front heating element?

I used the 40W vest today. At the lowest setting, I was too warm in 59F water. I'll wait for the water to cool off before trying it again.
It was comfortable and heated quickly. The only thing I didn't like was that it automatically turned off after 56 minutes. It vibrates enough to warn me, so hopefully, it won't make me freeze during a safety stop at God's Pocket.

i have one, its wireless, works much better than the Thermulation, it heats your core on both sides, not just your back as the Thermulation does. I have owned the Thermulation, used it for 3 years, upgraded to the Venture yet. Big different on comfort. We dive in 38F lakes in Alberta, a lot.

I used the 40W vest today. At the lowest setting, I was too warm in 59F water. I'll wait for the water to cool off before trying it again.
It was comfortable and heated quickly. The only thing I didn't like was that it automatically turned off after 56 minutes. It vibrates enough to warn me, so hopefully, it won't make me freeze during a safety stop at God's Pocket.
I’m wondering, with the remote, if not turning it on until later in the dive wouldn’t be a good use or do you think it would be hard to wait before turning it on?

i have one, its wireless, works much better than the Thermulation, it heats your core on both sides, not just your back as the Thermulation does. I have owned the Thermulation, used it for 3 years, upgraded to the Venture yet. Big different on comfort. We dive in 38F lakes in Alberta, a lot.
I assume you are diving dry?
The critical point with the Thermalution under a WET suit is that the water circulates even if heated only at your back. No such efficient heat circulation in a dry suit, so front AND back heating is more useful.

I’m wondering, with the remote, if not turning it on until later in the dive wouldn’t be a good use or do you think it would be hard to wait before turning it on?
I think that once you get cold, it will take longer to warm up, especially underwater. I had planned to try it on high power but low was plenty warm. I don't know if you can turn it back on immediately after it shuts off or if it needs to cool first. I tried turning it back on and it vibrated and the lights on the remote came on, but I didn't notice it getting warm during my safety stop. I did enjoy it and I think it will be great when I dive cold water again.

Merry tried wearing her Thermolution backward but didn't notice any difference. She says her chest gets cold more than her back. I'll try to get her to use mine sometime soon.

I think that once you get cold, it will take longer to warm up, especially underwater. I had planned to try it on high power but low was plenty warm. I don't know if you can turn it back on immediately after it shuts off or if it needs to cool first. I tried turning it back on and it vibrated and the lights on the remote came on, but I didn't notice it getting warm during my safety stop. I did enjoy it and I think it will be great when I dive cold water again.

Merry tried wearing her Thermolution backward but didn't notice any difference. She says her chest gets cold more than her back. I'll try to get her to use mine sometime soon.
Agree but was thinking along the line as gas is used I end up with less air in the suit so maybe give the end of the dive a little kick (I use the suit for buoyancy). Colder if the chest, absent a leak, would usually indicate to much air in the suit causing undergarment compression but I would hope the heat would make up for that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom