SIPADAN - Big Fish Theater like no other!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They weren't the least bit interested in me. 100% focused on getting over the wall and finding their sleeping hole so as to build their individual sleeping bubbles for the night.

Saw my first and maybe only leopard shark. And the big school of jacks and chevron barracuda. The school of jacks looks like it grew from when I was there. It was pretty unreal.

In 98 we were allowed to stay on Sipadan. You could walk out to the drop off and see huge parrot fish swimming by. Amazing.

wow, sounds great. Mabul island, where most divers stay, isn't far, though. The downside is that resorts are quite a rip-off, they know they can sell their rooms all year round...except this year.

Saw my first and maybe only leopard shark. And the big school of jacks and chevron barracuda. The school of jacks looks like it grew from when I was there. It was pretty unreal.

we didn't see a leopard shark, but we saw quite many white tip reef sharks, and one of them swam underneath me and then appeared in my picture (0:31)! That was the icing on the cake. The jackfish and the barracuda schools very stunning, I agree...."unreal"!

Took me back 20 years!

I lived in Brunei from 1986 - 1988 and we would catch a 20 minute flight to Kota Kinabalu and go to Sipidan to dive.
No need for tickets back then was really known to some local dive clubs. The best thing is the reef walls which drop down several hundred meters into the ocean. You just want to go down and explore them.

I lived in Brunei from 1986 - 1988 and we would catch a 20 minute flight to Kota Kinabalu and go to Sipidan to dive.
No need for tickets back then was really known to some local dive clubs. The best thing is the reef walls which drop down several hundred meters into the ocean. You just want to go down and explore them.

The turtle cave.

The turtle cave.

So long since I have been to Sipadan. Here's one of my jack fish video I took at Balicasag Island Bohol Cebu last year.
If you get motionless you can wait for the ball of fish to surround you. My dive buddies lost me for a bit but could see my video lights from within the ball.

So long since I have been to Sipadan. Here's one of my jack fish video I took at Balicasag Island Bohol Cebu last year.
If you get motionless you can wait for the ball of fish to surround you. My dive buddies lost me for a bit but could see my video lights from within the ball.

yeah, massive...Balicasag, I love that place! Been there again last January, great as always:

I was just going to tell that story but without the video!

It's still the hammerhead that I will always remember.

My buddy (the local DM) and I suddenly came upon 3 hammerhead. They weren't really moving around much and we all kind of just stared back at each other. But me, not knowing any better squealed through my reg and they were gone in a flash but then we saw the school below us, a river of hammerhead flowing along. We dropped down closer to see them, much lower than we should have done. The little videographer gal, kept going deeper and deeper. At 170', I pulled up and slowly rose to rejoin our group, who were busy looking up not down. A great manta was swimming above them. My first manta too though I didn't get as good a look as I'd have liked. One can't always have it all. :p

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom