Cylinder capacity table errors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveClimbRide

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_20201128_172545.jpg

This table is from the encyclopedia of recreational diving. (rev 01/17 version)

I don't understand how they calculated the full capacities for the hp cylinders at the bottom (specifically the metric values) did they use 300 bar instead of 327 by accident? Also how would the smaller cylinder have a larger capacity for the same rated pressure (2nd row from the bottom)

All in all this table has me very confused and pretty sure there are some errors in here somewhere.

I would not use that table. It has a number of errors in it. For example, it says an AL80 holds 80 cuft at 3000 psi. Not.
Use, for example, https://huronscuba.com/equipment/scuba-cylinder-specifications.
What else is confusing about your table is the various cylinders are made by different companies, and the names ("120") are a bit arbitrary.
That table is really meant to show how to go back and forth between metric and imperial. Too bad it has never been checked.

I would not use that table. It has a number of errors in it. For example, it says an AL80 holds 80 cuft at 3000 psi. Not.
Use, for example, https://huronscuba.com/equipment/scuba-cylinder-specifications.
What else is confusing about your table is the various cylinders are made by different companies, and the names ("120") are a bit arbitrary.
That table is really meant to show how to go back and forth between metric and imperial. Too bad it has never been checked.

Thanks for that table, it's quite useful. I've been finding a few errors in this table

Why not simply multiply the liters by the bars? Both are stamped over the tank here...
The liters are always exactly what is stamped, the bars are better read from your SPG...

Why not simply multiply the liters by the bars? Both are stamped over the tank here...
The liters are always exactly what is stamped, the bars are better read from your SPG...
Example: a 10-liters tank at 200 bar holds 2000 liters
Another: a 15 liters tank at 232 bar holds 3480 liters

Example: a 10-liters tank at 200 bar holds 2000 liters
Another: a 15 liters tank at 232 bar holds 3480 liters

Not exactly, it's a little more nuanced than that. You might want to check the link I posted above.

Ideal Capacity = Cylinder water volume * pressure / atmospheric pressure. Then there's air temps, and cylinder temps. . . And then there's compressibility of the gas...

Not exactly, it's a little more nuanced than that. You might want to check the link I posted above.

Ideal Capacity = Cylinder water volume * pressure / atmospheric pressure. Then there's air temps, and cylinder temps. . . And then there's compressibility of the gas...

Ok, but what the use how calculating that way ? I'm not trolling here, I'm just curious.

Back
Top Bottom