Shearwater Reliability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you mind explain those temp/depth failures in details?
I'm curios to know...
Thanks.

Sure.

On one Teric it started a dive on its own and dove deep, like 300ft followed by a rapid ascent, and did that for a few times. It was really obvious it was screwing up.

The other unit failed in a more nuanced manner. The temperature was about 15 degrees off. The real issue was the depth sensor. It showed a progressively shallower (relative to actual depth) depth. So at 10 ft (actual) it would say 9ft, at 33 ft it would say 25 ft (etc), by 130ft (actual) it was saying 95 ft. Those aren’t the exact numbers, I don’t have them anymore. The last difference I think is accurate though. This occurred on a Bonaire trip where we doing a lot of diving, looking back it started about the 2nd dive, so I was really pushing NDLs/Nitrox MODs probably past the point of safety.

Failed in what way?
Simply it stops to transmit.
But it happens randomly: maybe this weekend doesn't work, but the next one will work normally...
I've tried everything: new batteries, clean the contacts, re-match the transmitter with the Perdix, etc.

Sure.

On one Teric it started a dive on its own and dove deep, like 300ft followed by a rapid ascent, and did that for a few times. It was really obvious it was screwing up.

The other unit failed in a more nuanced manner. The temperature was about 15 degrees off. The real issue was the depth sensor. It showed a progressively shallower (relative to actual depth) depth. So at 10 ft (actual) it would say 9ft, at 33 ft it would say 25 ft (etc), by 130ft (actual) it was saying 95 ft. Those aren’t the exact numbers, I don’t have them anymore. The last difference I think is accurate though. This occurred on a Bonaire trip where we doing a lot of diving, looking back it started about the 2nd time so I was really pushing NDLs/Nitrox MODs probably past the point of safety.
Thanks!

The depth issues are really serious and dangerous!

Simply it stops to transmit.
Even with the Perdix next to the side of the transmitter when the regs are on a tank with pressure?

I'm confirming you have established it isn't simply a placement issue.

If it isn't a placement issue, you should definitely contact Shearwater for a repair or replacement. They should not be that unreliable. I have three old Oceanic branded transmitters (still basically PPS transmitters) and they all transmit all the time (they are on a tank with pressure).

Even with the Perdix next to the side of the transmitter when the regs are on a tank with pressure?

I'm confirming you have established it isn't simply a placement issue.

If it isn't a placement issue, you should definitely contact Shearwater for a repair or replacement. They should not be that unreliable. I have three old Oceanic branded transmitters (still basically PPS transmitters) and they all transmit all the time (they are on a tank with pressure).
Yep, even when they are one on the top of the other...
I know, I should send it back, but I'm lazy and onestly speaking, my SPG does it job more consistently...

Thanks!

The depth issues are really serious and dangerous!
The price for one of these in Australia is 'way out there" and for what?
The need for a backup computer.:rant:

I’m trying to get an idea of shearwater’s reliability (All models). If I could somehow determine an actual Mean Time Between Failures I would be ecstatic but I’m not holding my breath on that.
So with that in mind I have 2 ~related questions:
1) Who has the most dives on their Shearwater without any failures?
2)Who has the least number of dives on their Shearwater when it failed?
For what it’s worth , I am a Shearwater fanboy, I dive a perdix and am adding another shortly for redundancy.

All I can say is no issues with my Shearwater, unlike my Suunto's which died from pressure sensor failures. Just realized have not uploaded this years dives yet lol.

DIVES LOGGED.jpg

I have owned Shearwater computers for about 15 years now. The only failure I ever had was the button on my old Predator stopped working after a couple of years. Shearwater replaced it at no cost to me even though I had no expectation of warranty coverage they didn't bill me for repairs.

100 dives perdix AI. No problems.
Ai failes sometimes. But reconnects after about a minute. So no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom