Inflating dsmb without flying up with it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like a weak DM that needs remediation.

Taking the reg out of one’s mouth is a Basic OW skill that remains useful long after the course whether at 15m or 50m.
Exactly. I also switch to my octo and then eventually back to my primary on every dive. It's good practice and I want to be sure it's working if I need it.

I orally inflate or use my regulator. I've found that if I'm perfectly buoyant or slightly negative it works best and I was taught not to use a hose, because in a current (common where I dive) it can lead to buoyancy issues and its harder to have the DSMB away from you when deploying when using a LP hose. I practiced like mad at 15-20 ft getting ready for my solo course but got a lot of input on that course. I'm still not great at it but I can deploy it successfully so the fine tuning will come with practice. I have mine pre-configured and care a second reel in the event I need to use a line.

I learned how to deploy a DSMB by practicing in a pool. I used the AP Diving Training Delayed SMB. This DSMB is about 18 inches long and allows the diver to pull the bag down to depth and then repeat the deployment process. I could then practice deployment 10-15 times. I added a couple of extra kilos to keep me at the bottom of the pool. Eventually, I did not need the extra weight, and was able to deploy the DSMB trainer bag from a prone position.

I also use good reels such as a little Apeks Finger Spool or Light Monkey reel.

Practice is the key and this little training DSMB is a great way to develop this critical skill.

AP Diving Training Delayed SMB - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

Best wishes

GJS

... allows the diver to pull the bag down to depth and then repeat the deployment process.
Interesting......
How does it work?
Does it slowly leak air out so it's easier to pull back down?
Or...Is the amount of air so small that it's easy to pull back down to underwater depth?

I use a reel rather than a spool to deploy my SMB when drift diving off a live boat.

Every once in a while I flake out and clip the fixed snap clip to the SMB (rather than the clip on the end of the line).

Guess what happens when I inflate the SMB?

I’m also a fan of using a reel for deep shoots (~40m) to signal I’m ending the dive and starting my decompression schedule.

I’ve landed on a 60m reel as the sweet spot for dimensional size. Plus it gives me the necessary 1.5 length for the desired depth of the shoot and accounts for the increased payout that occurs in strong currents.

I have found the big spools to be unwieldy for SMB shots.

However, I recently read one team’s standards and spool use is required to pass their training protocols so I’be begun pulling alternate and contingency spools that I always carry in leg pockets. But if it’s a serious dive where the margin for error is costly, I use a reel.

I'll also add, don't worry about letting your DMSB go if you feel it's pulling you up, you'll retrieve it eventually when you get to the surface.

Additionally, write your name on it using a marker, and carry a redundant smaller one with another reel in a BCD/drysuit pocket or clipped off somewhere.

I would appreciate some tips as well. Do you need to carry more weight when intending to deploy one? Have only tried a couple times and the first was a total failure (thank goodness the spool fell in shallow water) and the second was, well, barely adequate. Practice, practice, I know.

There's an easy way out: have your buddy hold the spool. Just thumb and forefinger so it spins freely. Then give it a blast of air from your reg through the duckbill valve at the bottom.

(Doesn't everyone have one with the duckbill bottom and an overpressure valve? And a buddy.)

(Doesn't everyone have one with the duckbill bottom and an overpressure valve? And a buddy.)

No, I remember one of the UAE guys bringing up the useful observation about open baffle DSMBs filling up with water. Same in Florida or anywhere else there is a real current. So, yeah now that I’m back in Florida I intend to swap out my DSMBs for closed-bottom DSMBs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom