Suunto Eon Core Wrist Dive Computer - With Transmitter And USB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigrid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking of getting the Suunto Eon Core Wrist Dive Computer for my husband. Anyone have any experience with this dive computer?

I've enjoyed mine on around 80 dives so far. Sometimes the screen is hard to read in the sunlight, but I am happy with the performance so far.

I like the customizable screens. The compass works just fine. The algorithm works for me on the standard setting. The wireless pod eliminates a hose.

Good computer.

Still leery about customer support though.

I've had EON core for 2-3 years and i'm happy with mine. It of course depends on what kind of diving your husband will be doing.

For long deco dives or multiple deco dives per day I'd go with a Shearwater Perdix due to it's algorithm that has user customizable gradient factors.

But for regular recreational diving or shorter deco dives EON core is great. Screen is easy to read and you can customize the display to your liking.

You should take to account the availability of service and the level of customer support in your country. AFAIK in USA Shearwater computer would be excellent on that regard.

I've owned the Eon [Steel] since 2015, and also a Perdix AI since 2018. The Eon has almost 1000 dives on it, and the Perdix (which I purchased out of curiosity) 300 or so. I use both for Rec and Deco (upto 30 mins) diving. The longest repetitive dive sequence I've done, is 48 dives.

I state this just so you can frame my experience

There no difference in operation or functionality between the Steel and the Core, the differences (subject to the promised upcoming Firmware release for the steel) are physical (case) and battery size.

The short answer is that it's a good and reliable computer. My wife also has a steel, I know a group of friends that have them and I'm also very close to the regional distributor/repair centre, so I get to hear about any issues. I'm the only person that's had a pressure sensor issue in 2016. Suunto Finland got involved, my computer was repaired (out of warranty) for free and I have no reason to doubt that my issue wasn't down to a spurious component (hence Finland jumping on the issue as soon as they heard about it

The Display being graphical is fantastic (if you configure it that way) and the flexibility with choosing you data options to be displayed in the two configurable windows is also excellent - although you sometime need a few dives to figure out what you actually want

With the Suunto you are limited to the Suunto transmitters whereas with Shearwater, any PPS transmitter does work. The Suunto Pods are superior and don't have the drop out or range issues that seems to occasionally affect PPS transmitters

Objectively speaking whether you buy a Eon, a Shearwater, a Ratio or Aqualung they'll all suffice for 95% of Rec diving. I much prefer my Eon to my Perdix, not because one is significantly better, but because the Eon has less minor things that irritate me (in my diving environment) than the Perdix but here we're entering the subjective and personal preference territory

If you're happy with teh price then I'd highly recommend teh Eon. If I had to buy just one computer today, I would buy another Eon

Just curious, what's the 5% they won't do?
The lower end computers show their deficiencies when you're pushing NDL and extended repetitive dive sequences, and this is where the Eon and Shearwater have the advantage with their settings of conservatism and other data points. People on basic 2-3 dives a day at 30m or less shouldn't have any negative limitations

Back
Top Bottom