Air Integrated or non-air integrated computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally prefer AI. It's nice to look at one dial and have all the info at a glance. I currently use a Suunto Hoseless. My next computer will be a Shearwater.
Having said that, I do keep a small SPG on a separate hose tucked in in case the transmitter craps out.

Either way doesn't matter as long as the diver is comfortable with their equipment.

I personally prefer AI. It's nice to look at one dial and have all the info at a glance. I currently use a Suunto Hoseless. My next computer will be a Shearwater.
Having said that, I do keep a small SPG on a separate hose tucked in in case the transmitter craps out.

Nothing wrong with having redundancy. I had someone tell me that I should not rely on my Shearwater compass alone and to get another wrist worn one. I'm like no need I have a backup. Diver is asking where. My reply was my Olympus TG6 also has a compass. Just arrive at dive site turn on the GPS and calibrate the compass. Turn off GPS for the dive but the compass works fine lol.

Either way doesn't matter as long as the diver is comfortable with their equipment.

^^this

Does your husband like wrist mount? I know very experienced divers who don't like wrist mount computers.

If he does AI is nice but not required.

The above idea of buy the computer but wait on the transmitter is also good.

In rec diving it is just personal preference as to what is best.

My husband and I just passed our open water certification. I would like to get him a wrist dive computer for Christams. I understand that air integrated computers are more expensive, but won't it be nice to have everything he needs to check in one place?

If you're planning to mostly dive as a buddy pair, you may benefit from having the same model of dive computer that calculates the same no-stop time, so... would you like an air-integrated computer?

I have used AI computers since their development in the early 1990s; have had serial failures of the same, over the years, though still use an assortment of AI (non-transmitter versions) and non-AI computers -- along with a set of analogue gauges, none of which ever failed . . .

I tried diving with my AI computer only [no SPG] for a couple of dives, only to find muscle memory searching for the SPG.
Old habits die hard, so it's a habit and I am old so I gave into it, the SPG stays, and it's easy to read. [my old friend].

I love AI.
It’s a great feature to have but I also feel it comes down to money and how much you have to burn on it.

it’s about a $600 difference once you get a transmitter so if that $600 is in the budget and affordable go for it. If you have to cut corners somewhere else I’d reconsider.
My favourite piece of gear I’ve got that I felt made the biggest difference was a made to measure drysuit.
I wouldn’t get AI and an off the shelf suit for example.

My husband and I just passed our open water certification. I would like to get him a wrist dive computer for Christams. I understand that air integrated computers are more expensive, but won't it be nice to have everything he needs to check in one place?
AI is very convenient. But always have a back up SPG on your reg. I would hate to end a dive cause of a transmitter malfunction. My transmitter died unexpectedly when on a trip and if I did not have my spg I would not have dived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom