Rescue scuba diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some things you will be taught have to be taught but in reality, once the adrenalin starts flowing and conditions get less than ideal, doing what was taught in the class may not help and may do more injury. In-water rescue breaths is a good example. Nice feel good for the rescuer idea but may delay actual proper care on a hard surface. One of those unless you practice it regularly it may be a waste of valuable time and do more harm items.
Hear, hear. In-water rescue breaths are f---ing stupid. Get the victim out of the water ASAP, and start rescue breaths/CPR. In-water rescue breaths waste precious time and energy. The Red Cross ditched them in the early '90s, and it's high time PADI did the same.

I live close to Milan, Lombardia, and I will take the course with my instructor here. Generally we go to Liguria or sometimes to the Lake Como. Right now there a sort of partial lockdown so there are online lessons and recreational scuba activities are not allowed (the dives I mean). I can see you are from Lyon, if you happen to go to Liguria maybe we can meet for a dive one day when the lockdown will be over

I live in Lyon, but I am from Sicily. And I am looking forward to going back to "Area Marina Protetta di Portofino", I only have good memories of it... my first wreck dive, red corals, "pasta col pesto alla genovese" :) Where do you use to dive in Liguria?

By the way, very good that you switch environment sometimes (lake vs sea). Keep doing that if you can

I live in Lyon, but I am from Sicily. And I am looking forward to going back to "Area Marina Protetta di Portofino", I only have good memories of it... my first wreck dive, red corals, "pasta col pesto alla genovese" :) Where do you use to dive in Liguria?

By the way, very good that you switch environment sometimes (lake vs sea). Keep doing that if you can

Ci si vede qualche volta allora
In Liguria there are many nice dives. Unsurprisingly, most of the best dives are in the natural reserves or "Aree Marine Protette". Portofino and the nearby Camogli (diving spots of the secca Gonzatti, secca dell'Isuela, etc. etc. Secca would be a "shoal" in English I think) then Noli with its middle ages town center and the dives in the island of Bergeggi. Another place is Loano with the dives in the Gallinara island. And many others. If you happen to come and you have the AOW Deep do not miss the Haven wreck which is unbelievable. A super oil tanker, she was 300 meters long. The top where the captain used to stay is about 40 meters deep, the tech dives go as deep as 80 meters. When she sunk the government decided to let it burn for days to prevent zillions of barrels of oil from going into the sea. So the oil burning also burnt the antirust marine paint on the ship. The paint was destroyed and the she became kind of an artificial reef of mediterranean corals and animals. It is in Arenzano, so anybody can go there very easily with public transport, she sunk when she had almost arrived at the industrial harbor of Genova. For everyone who reads this post, whatever your previous diving experiences are that place is for you! Go there if you have the chance

Going back in topic, I have heard some criticism about a specific part of the rescue courses, at least PADI. People say many of the materials and exercises of the PADI rescue were conceived back in the 1980's. Then the gear used was less, and also possibly different from now. On the contrary, now we use plenty of gear, also at a recreational level. But the PADI rescue doesn't stress enough the importance of the equipment, not only in terms of equipment failure, but also in terms of the equipment itself as an obstacle to perform well the rescue maneuvers designed for the past when the gear was less and different.
Would you agree with this kind of remarks?

Going back in topic, I have heard some criticism about a specific part of the rescue courses, at least PADI. People say many of the materials and exercises of the PADI rescue were conceived back in the 1980's. Then the gear used was less, and also possibly different from now. On the contrary, now we use plenty of gear, also at a recreational level. But the PADI rescue doesn't stress enough the importance of the equipment, not only in terms of equipment failure, but also in terms of the equipment itself as an obstacle to perform well the rescue maneuvers designed for the past when the gear was less and different.
Would you agree with this kind of remarks?
It really depends on the instructor you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom