New diver buying 1st reg, Deep 6 or Hog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Beck

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving but want to buy my own reg. I need something that will be reliable in the cool/cold waters of Wisconsin and is sealed due to silty local dive sites. I was told to be sure it was balanced. Also EANx compatible (not sure if any new regs out there aren't but want to be sure)

I was looking at Deep 6 and Hog (I don't have a problem with sending them in for service). I like the D6 signature but wanted to get opinions on Hog, what Hog model would be what I'm looking for and how it compares to the D6 sig.

Thanks
Mike

Yep, what ^he said. Wife and daughter use HOG D1/Classic for Great Lakes diving, and we also have a Deep6. All perform well. It becomes which one you can get the best deal on....

I have been with groups using both under the ice, so cold is obviously not problem. Yes, you can ship them for service, but have you asked shops if they can do it locally? HOG has grown in presence quite a bit since they started, not sure how much Deep6 has grown in that arena, but they are expanding. Thing is, the first stages of each are very close in design to some of the "mainstream" brands, so service is basically the same. Just need to have a service kit on hand. With both, you should be able to obtain those.

I wouldn't hesitate to get either.

Yes, you can ship them for service, but have you asked shops if they can do it locally?

You're out towards Buffalo, right? You got a shop that way that will touch HOG and/or Deep6 regulators? Mine are still so new they don't need servicing yet...

I've been using the Hog D1 on my pony. Just my 2 cents but it breathes as easily at 3 digit depths as my expensive Atomic B2, which breathes effortlessly down deep.

You're out towards Buffalo, right? You got a shop that way that will touch HOG and/or Deep6 regulators? Mine are still so new they don't need servicing yet...

I took the classes for HOG and Deep6...... If I was to have to get them serviced outside of by me, @Jim Lapenta would be a prime choice. He did the complete overhaul on them when I picked them up (used) before I took the class. Deep6 does the first service for free if shipped back to them (purchase of new regs). My classes were with @abnfrog when the border was open...

Deep6 was exploring a virtual platform for their class, and I am unsure if HOG was exploring possibly something similar. This whole pandemic has certainly disrupted things...

I can't recall whick "mainstream" design the HOG and the Deep6 are clones of (Apeks is one, the other....). A shop that does those might service these....

Thing is, at two years interval (or longer), sending them out isn't really a big deal. Minor issues/maintenance IMHO are truly DIY for a serious diver...

YMMV

Although I had some issues with both and don’t like some of the design of the internals they can both be great regs, the price being a factor on choice, the included service kit is a big plus for the Deep 6.

I dive Hog primary deep six octo...perfect match.

Yep, what ^he said. Wife and daughter use HOG D1/Classic for Great Lakes diving, and we also have a Deep6. All perform well. It becomes which one you can get the best deal on....

I have been with groups using both under the ice, so cold is obviously not problem. Yes, you can ship them for service, but have you asked shops if they can do it locally? HOG has grown in presence quite a bit since they started, not sure how much Deep6 has grown in that arena, but they are expanding. Thing is, the first stages of each are very close in design to some of the "mainstream" brands, so service is basically the same. Just need to have a service kit on hand. With both, you should be able to obtain those.

I wouldn't hesitate to get either.

Not sure about HOG, but Deep6 require you to take the course in order to get parts kits. They changed this. Before you could buy the kits online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom