Computers for farsightedness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention I am getting eye surgery in the winter to correct a cataract. I’m sure that will help too.

Depends on which lens they put in your eye. Are you only having one eye done?

As has already been mentioned, a computer with a nice bright color display (shearwater, many others) is far more readable than the old style black and grey LCD. They're kind of expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

They're still great computers to look at even if the doc does fix your eyes. Find a dive shop that sells them and have a squiz.

So I'm getting older and have been diving recreational for about 15 years and have had the same console computer, but now its getting a but difficult to read since I use reading glasses now so I want to invest in a new computer (and most likely a wrist one) and I was looking for suggestions on ones with an easy to read display. Wondering what some thoughts might be.

Before investing in new and perhaps expensive gear changes, ask yourself how often you dive and how often you will dive from here on out. Unless, you have money to burn on fun new gear.

Definitely don't buy a new mask yet, since you don't know what your vision is going to be after cataract surgery.

I have a computer with a good color display and crisp numbers, but I still had issues seeing it well. So I bit the bullet and got prescriptions put into my mask by PDM. That works.

I second the seavision mask, made my diving a lot more enjoyable and I feel safety was improved

As a diver that has suffered from farsightedness/hyperopia for 40+ years I'm going to differ on the opinion of a prescription mask. Please note I am very farsighted being in the +7.75 area. If you are beyond +5 I would caution that the distortion from the prescription mask is terrible. This is manageable for daytime diving with the understanding that a lot of your peripheral vision will be severely distorted. I did this for years. Then I started night diving. Night diving is a nightmare as your field of view becomes pretty much that which is dead ahead. For me night diving was the final straw. I ditched the prescription mask and went with contact lenses. I wear progressives normally but have not needed them underwater and have no issues reading my gauges or Shearwater Perdix. I bought an OTS Guardian full face mask over the summer and have no issues switching between it and a regular mask with the contacts. Between the Guardian and the contacts the experience underwater has never been better. Ditch the prescription mask and go with contact lenses.

Let me also add that if you do have a high prescription and decide you still want to go the prescription mask route. Go with a company that will use the newer high index material. Unless something has changed in the last 2 years SeaVision still uses CR39 for the lenses. CR39 lenses will be thicker than high index and therefore the periphery will be more distorted than a high index lens.

I have same issue but I had a spare Atomics Subframe and I found lenses with built in readers at Leisure Pro for that mask. Just had local dive shop put in the new lenses. Hopefully fixes my issue....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom