Computers for farsightedness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm getting older and have been diving recreational for about 15 years and have had the same console computer, but now its getting a but difficult to read since I use reading glasses now so I want to invest in a new computer (and most likely a wrist one) and I was looking for suggestions on ones with an easy to read display. Wondering what some thoughts might be.

I have a suunto zoop novo and my husband has aqualung i300 for exactly that reason.

There are larger displays, but I haven't found larger numbers in an economical dive computer

I think you are looking at a couple of real options:
1) get your vision sorted out with "gauge reader" inserts (which stick to the inside of your current mask), custom prescription mask or contact lenses
2) buy a diving computer with a larger display - unfortunately for you most of these come with a heftier price tag but are infinitely more readable than a standard button type (such as a console unit). One of the main differences is between LCD (think black on grey) and LED (with multi colour displays).

There are a number of computers with similar size of screens available such as Shearwater, Mares, Suunto, etc. A lot of them have additional features such as compasses & configurable screens as well as optional air integration (which can mean being able to get rid of a hose and the console). I went down the route of buying a Shearwater Petrel and have never regretted it - the visibility in all conditions (low vis, night dives, bright sunlight) is hard to beat and it has allowed me to get rid of the depth gauge, compass and SPG..

While this doesn’t fulfill the desire for a new computer a new mask my help more in the long run, I use a Teric computer and the great contrast helps a lot but I still prefer some magnification too, right now I’m using a scubapro D mask with a + 1.5 on the left, the lens is easy to change and they have a wide range of options.

The deep6 excursion has a "big numbers" mode where it will make the numbers bigger - I'm not sure if this would be big enough for you or not:
RghOmnF.png

I would sort the lenses on the mask first. If you can't read the computer easily there is a lot of little critters that you are missing in your dives for the very same reason. Once you can see properly, then the choice of computer is up to what you like, not how big the screen is.

What about the new Shearwater Peregrine? It’s a bargain at $450 and the screen is big and bright.

I agree with Sifossifoco. If you can't see your gauges you can't see the marine life either. I'd personally invest in a mask with your prescription in it as well as a bifocal in the lens. This has made a world of difference in the quality of my own underwater experience. I personally like the Seavision products. If they have your prescription and inter pupillary distance, they can make you a mask. They have different models for different face sizes and shapes. Some other companies will grind lenses for an existing double lens mask. Less expensive option is to buy a mask with built in gauge readers. Don't get the cheap "stick in' readers for existing mask. They float out after a few uses.

I never considered having a prescription mask. I’ll definitely look into that along with a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom