DUI zip seals worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BassO

Registered
Reaction score
I recently got a DUI suit with (1st gen) zip seals. The suit is incredible but the seals are so expensive I actually had to visit a few retailers to make sure I wasn't being swindled. I think that having the whole ring system swapped out for a different one might be cheaper than replacement seals. But before I do, are DUI zip seals anything special? Should I just stick with it and accept the cost? Or should I replace them? And if so, what with?

Zipseals were worth it at one time, but in my opinion that time has passed. There are other solutions on the market that are arguably just as or more effective and a lot less expensive. I would reco.mend replacing the ssystem if you need new seals.

A nice concept, least bulky option for replaceable seals countered with always having the gloves on the suit as you gear up, no wrist seal at all if you use dry gloves. Incredibly expensive and the worst feature is they must be cut to use them (wrist and neck seals) if using latex trimming is very forgiving but silicone can be destroyed with one little slip.

There are no alternative sources, si tech wrist seals are $55 at a dive shop, don’t recall the neck price but plan ahead and you can get both neck and wrist seals from Seaskin for less than $50 delivered.

The quick neck and Rolock listed above are pretty fool proof once the base is installed and cheap to keep in use.

If you're able to DIY a $5 dry-glove replacement on Zip-Rings, they're grrreat! (see avatar)

They are expensive when purchased new, that’s for sure. One set lasts quite a long time so the price is easier to accept when I think about it that way. I choose them because they are much less intrusive than hard rings if you just have to have quick swap seals.

Let me help finance your transition to another style! Once you remove them, I will buy both the neck and wrist zip seal take off parts. I also buy the worn out zip seals. PM me if interested.

I’ve had two suits with the first and second generation SiTech neck systems. Very bulky and restricted my shoulder motion as I’m narrow shouldered. I just ordered a DUI suit a few weeks ago and I got to look at the neck zip seal in the shop before I ordered. Much less bulky than the hard plastic SiTech systems. I’ve always had silicone seals. I’ve never ripped a neck seal and I ripped a wrist seal once.

For dry gloves, there may be systems that can be worn over the zip seals, like can be done with glued on latex wrist seals. Not sure. Someone else would have to comment on that.

I use these in conjunction with my zip seals for dry glove and having a wrist dam.

Rubber Pullover Dry Glove Rings

Had a very old suit retrofitted, and Like the zips. Haven't had issues, but have been on dives with others using different brands, and seen problems. The HD latex hold up really well, so to me it hasn't been painful financially aside from initial purchase, and spares (still unused).

YMMV

I used to press-fit Si-tec oval rings into my zip-seals, for redundancy,.....now I don't give a dam...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom