PADI specialties: how to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really. I don't want to become a divemaster, not sure i could really dedicate enough time to that. I could become 'master scuba diver' but as far as i understand it Is just a honoric title. I am simply trying to become a good diver. Until now i took specialties that are necessary to do that certain dives: nitrox deep drysuit etc. Now i was trying to understand what experienced divers would judge useful and what not completely necessary

Within PADI and SSI Master Scuba Diver is just an "honorific title" like you suggest...under NAUI it is a specific course of instruction and certification. Outside of my initial openwater training, the NAUI Master Diver course was probably the most valuable dive related training I have participated in. But I will note that I believe the quality of training is based on the instructor...I just happen to have an excellent instructor who was very thorough and demanding.

If, as you state, you are "simply trying to become a good diver" then go out and dive more, taking classes and obtaining certifications in specialties does not necessarily make one a better diver.

Dive in a variety of environments and conditions, vary who you dive with and look at their skill sets critically, think about your own skill set critically, make changes to what and how you do things as necessary. When diving with more experienced divers request a dive debrief for to get constructive feedback. Reflect on the information you are given and compare it to what you already know. Try to learn something from every dive no matter the time length or depth, log it/journal it. Endeavor to exit the water a more competent confident, and capable diver than when you entered it.

-Z

@Zef thanks
And i meant 'honorific title' i dropped a syllable...

Reactions: Zef
@Zef thanks
And i meant 'honorific title' i dropped a syllable...

sorry, I didn't put quotes to draw attention to the spelling error, it was just to emphasize that indeed it is a title and not a specific course of instruction/certification level under those agencies. I didn't even realize it was spelled wrong...but I have gone back and corrected it in my post.
:cheers:

-Z

My advice is always this:

Specialities for the most part are an experience. For instance DPV, if you fancy trying something out, go for it

Also choose an instructor who is not only experienced in that, but also very interested in that subject.

For instance I can teach Nav, but my heart's not in the subject - its a bit Meh for me.

However PPB, Deep, Wreck, DPV I'm really into teaching and because I'm passionate on those subjects the students get a great course

Finally we're never too experienced to learn, even on a subject you think you know. I often sit in on courses taught by other instructors, they might have a different approach or pass on a technique that I've not considered.

First off, look at specialties that are necessary to do that type of diving. I have Ice Diver and no reputable club or LDS will let you ice dive without it. Same for deep, nitrox and wreck. If you want these types of dives, get the specialty.

Then look at types of dives that either allow you to go further in the diving progression, nitrox and deep lead to tec diving if that is where you want to go.

Then as has been said, some specialties are just experience, if that is the best way to get the experience, then take the specialty if you can get the experience or knowledge in other cheaper ways then do not get the specialty.

For example in the days of film cameras, a underwater photo specialty could make scene, film was expensive, you did not see your pictures until a couple days after you got home from vacation and a course could save money. Now with digital pictures are free, immediate and can be deleted if they turn out no good, you can read all about it on the internet or watch YouTube to improve your photo skills, no need to Put Another Dollar In.

Find a dive buddy who takes pictures and pick his brain, for the price pf a couple of beers you could get the same knowledge that a specialty would cost you the same as a fancy dinner for two.

Forget about boat, night, shore underwater naturalist, there are easier and cheaper ways to acquire the knowledge, generally training dives work out to 2 to 3 times the cost of a fun dive so just spend the time under water and look up the information on line.

FWIW, my specialties are Ice, Deep Nitrox, Equipment and O2 Provider from PADI plus Science of Diving from SSI (free during lockdown so why not?) Three I need for the types of diving I like to do plus 3 more that were the most economical way to get the knowledge I wanted.

I still want to do a wreck specialty and then perhaps advance nitrox or intro to tec. I would not mind a more advanced diving science or dive medicine course either.

What I suggest is to get yourself a bunch of ping pong balls. Write the name of a specialty class on each ball. Put them in a bucket, then throw them all straight up in the air. The ones that stay up, take those classes.

I've learned something from every specialty class I've ever taken, which is many, even if the instructor was crappy. If the instructor was good, I learned a LOT. I get it that some people don't like things like Fish ID, or think things like Boat are beneath them, but for people who like fish it is an excellent class, especially if merged with REEF.org training, and frankly the way some people behave on a Boat with spreading their crap out everywhere maybe that specialty ought to be mandatory!

The problem with trying to learn things from a book is the lack of the experienced instructor eye to keep you on track and give you feedback and correction. You can watch people sidemounting and make a pretty good guess on who decided to learn it from a book. Same with Underwater Naturalist, with folks who can't even find things because they don't know where to look or how to decide what is what.

I get it that some people want to take charge of their lives and do it themselves and never get any input from elsewhere except maybe by reading a book or watching a YouTube video.
But that doesn't mean that is best for everyone, or that you actually learned the material....quite possibly you missed something important and don't even know it. Ever try to service a regulator just by reading a manual? Take the damn class and learn the tricks and things to be careful about.

People learn in different ways, and have different interests. Best not to assume your way is the only way.

i did full face mask(ffm) if your talking about s&r(search and recovery) then that will fit in, i use the ots spectrum and it's sweet.....<TG>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom