Safe to drive from LA to SF immediately after 3 day liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who lives in NorCal and has done this exact drive I’d say, are you seriously considering going on a 3 day live aboard right now?

As someone who lives in NorCal and has done this exact drive I’d say, are you seriously considering going on a 3 day live aboard right now?

well not exactly liveaboard...
It's three consecutive boat dives and I'll be staying at hotel nearby.

Almost all people wear masks on the boat in-between dives and risks are tolerable to me I feel...

Of course, if one is in high-risk group, don't do it.

I'm usually pretty tired after a full day of diving. I should think the drive itself is going to be the dangerous part. You'd be smart to spend the night and drive home in the morning.

Yeah tiredness is one drawback of this plan...

I did this twice already actually (I didn't even pay attention to the elevation part and it was only brought up to me yesterday... and it got me worried..)

And both times I'm pretty tired at the 1/3 or 1/2 joint of the trip and had to sleep for 3,4 hours by the road with other 18 wheelers.
Pretty fun, and sometimes cold...

I used to be. Now I use Nitrox. :poke:

I used to dive Nitrox, now I dive a Rebreather. :cool:

You get up at 5am to drive to a dive site, do two or three dives, and drive an hour or two (or 6 from SF to LA) you are going to be beat. Be careful below and above the water.

Take the 101 north to San Fran. It’s about one hour longer than I-5 but there is no elevation to be concerned about and it’s a prettier ride. Stop for late breakfast or lunch in Santa Barbara. Also, depending on when you travel there can be snow over the Grapevine on I-5 that can cause delays.

I think it's actually two hours longer on the 101. It's six hours on the 5, eight on the 101 and ten on the 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom