Suunto Eon Steel; No Longer Available? (US)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GRH

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning on diving again after 4 years and a new hip and as a relatively older diver, visibility in the dark cool waters of Puget sound can be a challenge.

I am not planning on technical diving and realize ScubaBoard members seem to have a strong preference for Sheerwater and understand the reasons why and while I was researching and open to both, I liked the option to customize a simple, readable screen on the Eon Steel.

Now I noticed the Suunto Eon Steel is 50% off on the Suunto Web site. A sign it is going to be discontinued and/or replaced with a new model?

The new lower price seems a compelling reason for the Eon Steel or am I missing something?

Suunto_Eon_Steel_Sale_a.JPG Suunto_Eon_Steel_Sale_b.JPG That was quick.

Availability: No longer available
$674.98

Looks like a special on the Core with pod in the EU. Is the Steel available?

Thanks

I had ordered the Suunto Eon Steel from the USA Suunto web site at 50% off before my original post at $674.98 and checked back less that an hour later to find it is no longer available. I suspected something was up due to the pricing and now it seems it has been discontinued.

Can anyone confirm it has been discontinued? Mine is shipped and on the way and I am not concerned either way since it meets the needs I was looking for but it is still listed at retail on every on line site I've checked.

Suunto EON Steel - Fully customizable dive computer

Thanks

I don't know, but I see it is still available in the Netherlands at online shops.

Can anyone confirm it has been discontinued

According to my regional distributor, theSteel hasn't been discontinued.

Covid has caused component supply chain issues. That as well as reduction of outputs meaning Suunto has had to prioritise their focus with reduced resources.

Until the Steel gets its software update, there is little justification in choosing it over the core (I say this as an owner of 2 x Steels)

Perhaps Suunto is taking the opportunity to re-imagine it's flagship [Pure Speculation on my part]
It could certainly do with some minor tweaks for improvement

(2 simultaneous gas contents for SM - and my preference of the ability to put it to sleep rather than waiting for the water sensor to time out on the surface)

I use these examples since I also own and use a Perdix which I'm really ambivalent about.

2 years & 250+ dives later I still don't get the hype over it.

According to my regional distributor, theSteel hasn't been discontinued.

Until the Steel gets its software update, there is little justification in choosing it over the core (I say this as an owner of 2 x Steels)

Thank you.

The reason for me was the Steel was $674.98 and the Core was $929.95 US. There are some Core/Pod bundles online at $850.00 I could have considered.

It makes sense as both the Core and the Steel are in the same class and the Core is the newer of the two. With the small market of scuba divers it makes sense to limit the number of different models.

Back
Top Bottom