Windy Weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much like the ferries, it’s all about wind direction. I can take off in a ripping headwind, but my crosswind tolerances are actually pretty limited. Once we’re aloft, yeah wind doesn’t matter that much.

Runways are always constructed to be parallel to prevailing winds. If the wind shifts (reveres) which is relatively common, you just go to the other end of the runway to take off.
And what happens if there is only one runway and winds are at 90* ...:)

I get a beer and we try again tomorrow lol
The more seasoned one becomes, the greater the need for excitement:)

And what happens if there is only one runway and winds are at 90* ...:)
There is the 05/23 runway that is normally used by the military. Haven't seen it used for commercial but it is there
upload_2020-11-14_6-55-4.png

I can take off in a ripping headwind, but my crosswind tolerances are actually pretty limited.
I remember being on an airliner landing in a strong crosswind at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. I was sitting in a window seat; it was a bit unsettling to be able to see straight down the runway from a side facing window. When the wheels touched down the plane slewed around so quickly that anyone standing probably would have been injured. Belatedly I got concerned about the shear strength of the landing gear.

I remember being on an airliner landing in a strong crosswind at Sky Harbor in Phoenix. I was sitting in a window seat; it was a bit unsettling to be able to see straight down the runway from a side facing window. When the wheels touched down the plane slewed around so quickly that anyone standing probably would have been injured. Belatedly I got concerned about the shear strength of the landing gear.

That's a fun part of flight school, it's called crabbing or sideslipping (similar but different techniques) Crosswind landing - Wikipedia

The C-5 aircraft is really cool since the landing gear are on a complicated caster system that allow them to point a different direction than the aircraft nose, to assist with landings like this.

All airline landing gears are similar..here's an A380 doing what a pilot is suppose to do..notice the gear.

That’s cool! Didn’t realize it was that widespread, all the stuff I flew in the military didn’t. Speaking of, need to go dust off that PPL been too long.
All airline landing gears are similar..here's an A380 doing what a pilot is suppose to do..notice the gear.

Hopefully Iota will continue westward and head out to sea over the Pacific.
It still looks like that will be the course it takes, but the latest 5 day outlook shows still yet another disturbance in the same part of the Caribbean that spawned Eta and Iota which the NHC gives a 30% chance of organizing into a tropical storm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom