Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. What does the label say?

But Thinsulate is essentially fake down and the washing method I posted is how you wash real down, except you tumble dry with tennis balls for a quilt.

Don’t recommend the dryer even on low unless the label specifically mentions it’s okay.

First dive with my new seaskin nova and seaskin undergarments today. Total and complete flood of the suit. Even after sloshing stuff out getting it off, poured about 6-8 pitchers of water out. I’ll investigate further tomorrow, initial best guess is that seaskin didn’t install the neck seal correctly. Buddy saw a steady stream of bubbles from near the base of my neck (on my back). Since they also didn’t include the neck seal tool ordered one from dive right in, to fix it (if that is the root cause). Buddy checked my neck seal post dive and it wasn’t rolled or anything else.

anyone have any washing recommendations for the undergarments since they are totally and completely soaked through?
What kind of neck seal did you order?

I found those that seem to be official Santi instructions on how to was Thinsulate undergarments (only in Italian unfortunately, if you need me to translate other parts just ask me)
Lavare sottomuta Thinsulate
  • In case the undergarment is completely soaked with seawater it must be washed without soap
Wash the undergarment in the washing machine with cold water, max 40° Celsius
We don't suggest you to wash the undergarment by hand because it will be difficult to clean it well as in the washing machine, and it will be also difficut to remove all the water, without damaging the insulation. Wash the undergarment separately from any other clothes. Add the detergent the first time you wash the undergarment, then wash the undergarment a second time without soap and never use the spin cycle. Once you finish washing it, put the undergarment horizontally on a flat surface or on a clothesline. It's important not to hang the undergarment vertically, because in that case the weight of the water might move the Thinsulate material to the legs of the garment
When the undergarment is dry turn it inside out and let it dry internally. Repeat the steps until the undergarment is completely dry. Never use bleach containing chlorine. If the undergarment has a bad smell wash it with white vinegar first and then again wash it based on the procedure above

Day after investigation - yup neck seal wasn’t seated correctly from factory. Just waiting now for my pizza cutter tool to arrive from DRIS to fix and give it another go.

I should have checked the seal prior to diving, but assumed the factory had correctly installed the seal.

Oh also my customs invoice showed up for FedEx.

Total Bill: $127 (1x Drysuit, 1x 150 Undergarment, 1x 250 Undergarment)

Did they detail it out even including the tariff numbers? If so, would you please post it? As a customs broker, I’m interested to see how they’re classifying the items. Thanks!

Did they detail it out even including the tariff numbers? If so, would you please post it? As a customs broker, I’m interested to see how they’re classifying the items. Thanks!

The two undergarments were tariff number 61033300 on the invoice breakdown, but on the Customs and Border patrol cover page looks like they got put under 6112310010

the drysuit was 40159091 (@ 4%)

SInce I have no idea, and this seems generally in line with others, don't think i got screwed? But no idea the difference between those codes.

The two undergarments were tariff number 61033300 on the invoice breakdown, but on the Customs and Border patrol cover page looks like they got put under 6112310010

the drysuit was 40159091 (@ 4%)

SInce I have no idea, and this seems generally in line with others, don't think i got screwed? But no idea the difference between those codes.

It's Border Protection, not Patrol. Everyone does that! :D

I thought it was odd you didn't post a 10 digit tariff number. Any country that's a member of the WTO uses the same first 6 digits, but the US goes to 10, and Canada to 8.

Chapter 40 is for rubber and rubber articles. Chapter 61 is for clothing and accessories, knitted or crocheted.

First screen snip is for the drysuit. Full classification would be 4015. 90.0050
CACF88DA-A97E-4850-8D88-8AF919602FB8_4_5005_c.jpeg

Just saw your post edit. Putting drysuit undies as swimwear? 6112.31. 0010 Wrong!

A036A772-9CC3-4A90-B049-F5C875E5C3AF_4_5005_c.jpeg

I'm off to the CBP CROSS rulings database to find the Fourth Element undies ruling request I found in the past.

So when a company importing to the US is unsure what their goods should be classified as, they submit a classification ruling request to CBP. I've actually done this myself. The kicker is that you are then forever required to use the classification CBP determines something is.

Here's the ruling on the Fourth Element Xerotherm undies. It's from 2005.

CROSS Customs Rulings Online Search System

900B4D74-171C-4539-9BD7-559DE44E4D26_4_5005_c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom