Cutting Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4c1dburn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey

I use an Eezycut attached to my wrist/computer.

Any suggestions for a secondary cutting device and where to store?

sheath on waist webbing vs. in thigh pockets?

Have found a bunch of the smaller knives I have looked at don't have a good sheath, i.e. want a sheath where the webbing comes through on the top end of the sheath and hence the sheath sits low.
Or are there good reasons why it shouldn't sit that way?

Thanks for reading and responding all!

The prevailing recommendation is to ensure you can reach and use your cutting device with either hand.

Having an Eezycut on your wrist is good from a "backup" solution standpoint but it is not retrievable by the hand of the arm it is worn on.

I carry 2 Eezycuts....one is on my backplate harness waist strap, the other, like you, is mounted on my wrist via my computer mount's bungee cords.

A line cutter device like the Eezycut is a good device but it is limited in usefulness. Depending on where I am diving I will also carry EMT shears.

Whether one carries a line cutter, a knife, shears/scissors, diagonal cutters, or any other type of cutting tool, as well as the number of tools one carries on a dive is a personal decision based on preference, risk assessment, diving philosophy, organizational standards, etc. Regardless of which device is chosen to carry, if one can't reach it in an emergency then it is the same as not having it all.

-Z

Have found a bunch of the smaller knives I have looked at don't have a good sheath, i.e. want a sheath where the webbing comes through on the top end of the sheath and hence the sheath sits low.
Or are there good reasons why it shouldn't sit that way?

You can always buy some harness/weight belt webbing or flat webbing in the width you want, and form/sew a custom sheath fairly easy. Or take your webbing and design to shoe repair shop and ask them to sew it for you....should cost you a couple of bucks.

You can always buy some harness/weight belt webbing or flat webbing in the width you want, and form/sew a custom sheath fairly easy. Or take your webbing and design to shoe repair shop and ask them to sew it for you....should cost you a couple of bucks.

Great suggestion, thank you!
Any advice on how to make it so the knife doesn't easily fall out? Or is that a non-problem and I'm overthinking it?

The prevailing recommendation is to ensure you can reach and use your cutting device with either hand.

Having an Eezycut on your wrist is good from a "backup" solution standpoint but it is not retrievable by the hand of the arm it is worn on.

I carry 2 Eezycuts....one is on my backplate harness waist strap, the other, like you, is mounted on my wrist via my computer mount's bungee cords.

A line cutter device like the Eezycut is a good device but it is limited in usefulness. Depending on where I am diving I will also carry EMT shears.

Whether one carries a line cutter, a knife, shears/scissors, diagonal cutters, or any other type of cutting tool, as well as the number of tools one carries on a dive is a personal decision based on preference, risk assessment, diving philosophy, organizational standards, etc. Regardless of which device is chosen to carry, if one can't reach it in an emergency then it is the same as not having it all.

-Z

Where do you carry the shears when you dive with them?

A line cutter is always a great option; small, unobtrusive and perfect for slicing through monofilament. I also have an Aqualung Squeeze Lock on the waist strap of my harness which doubles as my long hose retainer.

Aqualung Squeeze Lock Knife (Blunt Tip)

For commercial work I carry a Green River knife which will cut through anything.

Great suggestion, thank you!
Any advice on how to make it so the knife doesn't easily fall out? Or is that a non-problem and I'm overthinking it?

If the knife fits tight enough in the sheath it should not be a problem, but here are some possible options:

Buy or make a velcro/bungee retainer and attach to the knife you will need a strip of velcro on the sheath for the tab to adhere to, and depending on the knife, you may need to drill a small hole in the handle. If I was to make one I would change the design depicted below and just take a short length of velcro and fold and sew one end over forming a tunnel to pass a length of bungee through (kind of how the D-ring is situated in the photo below), then I would pass the bungee through a hole in the handle/pommel of the knife and through the tunnel of the tab and then knot the bungee (5min or less of sewing work with a needle and some dental floss or nylon thread):

DGX Attachment Lanyard w/Velcro
dx-904008_1_1.jpg

Or buy/make a sheath with a velcro flap similar to this one:
upload_2020-11-14_12-22-52.jpeg

-Z

Where do you carry the shears when you dive with them?

On my harness waist strap. I have an eezycut semi-permanently mounted on one side (as it is blocked from sliding off by my harness buckle), on those occasions that I carry shears, I just thread the sheath onto the other side of the harness waist strap....yes it can fall off if my harness comes unbuckled, but I have not had that happen....yet.

I suppose if I knew that I might need to remove my gear in the water such as to pass it onto a RHIB before climbing aboard, I would just unthread/rethread my buckle to put the sheath on the other side along with the eezycut (maybe even remove/replace the eezycut in that situation), or I would hope that I don't forget the shears are there and relocate them to my drysuit thigh pocket until I am back on board and reunited with my rig.

Lots of options...its all personal preference.

-Z

I got a titanium scubapro knife where the sheath has a flap over the handle. Dive a Gear Express in the states have them so much cheaper, at one point it was cheaper to buy them there and ship than buy them in the uk!
This is the one.
DGX Titanium Tek Dive Knife w/Waistbelt Sheath

You could knock up a similar sheath pretty easily if you don’t mind stitching yourself, I made a different sheath using offcut harness webbing which really gripped the blade due to its stiffness and not wanting to deform, but that didn’t have a retainer. I’m not sure if it needed one really. There was a YouTube video on making the sheath, can’t remember where but it was with ends folded in, so double thickness on each side to give it the rigidity.

Rich

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom