MAKO: Titan Elite Speargun: ROLLER and Standard Muzzle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am stoked to announce the arrival of our new MAKO Titan Elite Spearguns.
campaign-titan-elite-speargun-roller-muzzle-open-track.jpg

Compare this gun with any other gun and I promise you will be blown away!

It includes a patented double roller trigger mechanism, the strongest mech ever on a Euro gun and it’s available with a ROLLER MUZZLE or STANDARD OPEN MUZZLE with shark spike.
campaign-titan-elite-speargun-open-muzzle-open-track.jpg

And PLEASE!!! Don’t let the low price fool you.

Because I sell direct to divers instead of through dive shops, these high performance, top of the line, MAKO Titan Elite Spearguns actually costs less than entry level guns sold in dive shops.

To see all the awesome features of the new MAKO Titan Elite Spearguns:
https://www.makospearguns.com/Spearguns-Railguns-s/37.htm

Thanks guys for taking time to read this.

Dive safe,

Dano

Thanks for the inquiry. We probably should have more photos available, but it is a big deal getting the website updated.

Roller Muzzles have become increasingly popular with experienced spearfisherman over the last several years. The basic idea is that a wheel or roller is integrated into the muzzle. This allows the band to "roll" over the front of the muzzle. The band is attached UNDER the barrel of the gun and the wishbone/bridle pulls on the shaft for the entire length of the barrel. The wishbone is captured by the metal bridge on the muzzle and when fired, it slams into that bridge with considerable force which we often call pre-tension. The pre-tension can be modified by adjusting the length of the static bridle which serves to anchor the rear of the band near the reel mount on the handle.

This provides at least two potential advantages. One, since the band is pulling for the entire length of the gun (and the band extends from the handle up to the muzzle, over the front of the muzzle via the roller and then over the top of the gun all the way back to the notch on the spear), there is more band length and thus more energy imparted to the shaft.

A standard muzzle gun (with the bands anchored at the muzzle) stops pulling on the shaft when the bands have stopped contracting - which might be 8 or 10 inches from the end of the gun. You have more effective band stretch with a roller gun... It allows a shorter gun to be more powerful and efficient.

A second advantage is that when shooting, the recoil is greatly reduced. The difference is actually surprising. As best I understand, this is associated with the physics of the gun. The difference being that the rubber underneath the barrel is moving toward the rear of the gun, so the momentum distribution is different. I'm sure this explanation might not satisfy an engineer, but it is something along those lines. I'm really not qualified to explain the physics at a high level.

Eventually I plan on having an instructional video made on the new roller muzzle.

Thanks
dano

We probably should have more photos available, but it is a big deal getting the website updated.

Fortunately it's not a big deal to post images here. :) Too bad we can't post videos as easily as photos (yet). You can use ScubaBoard posts as a draft for the descriptions and photo updates to your site.

Dano. I need to know some measurements and I’ll order one. Which model is about 27-29 in from but to the band. That’s my preferred reach length. Also, on that model what is the distance from the gun to the tip of the spear (range)? Thanks!

Dano. I need to know some measurements and I’ll order one. Which model is about 27-29 in from but to the band. That’s my preferred reach length. Also, on that model what is the distance from the gun to the tip of the spear (range)? Thanks!

You would be looking at our smallest gun. That would be our 50 cm gun.

We configure the guns with a single wrap of monofilament shooting line. So a single wrap of line extends from the rear of the shaft, over the front of the muzzle, back to the line release and then forward again to the line anchor. There is a muzzle bungi included in that distance as well. The length of the line and bungi is close to 150 cm. If you add in the length of the shaft, roughly another 50 cm (conservatively) then you would get a distance of about 200 cm from the front end of the gun to the tip of the shaft.

That is a distance of a little less than 80 inches, or about 6.5 feet. This is the gun I often use when diving very turbid inshore water.

This is for the Titan gun, not the roller muzzle model.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Titan-Elite-Speargun-Open-Muzzle-Open-Track-p/mtecm.htm

Thanks very much for your support and your inquiry!

dano

ok. I’ll need to go longer. Can you add a rest tab to the shaft? What’s the shortest gun I can get with a 15ft range?

Each gun is assembled in our facility in Virginia. During assembly, the latex bands are hand made on the day the gun is built (so they are as fresh as is possible). During the assembly, we also rig the shooting line. We sell our guns with a single wrap of line, but if you want a second wrap (a longer shooting line) we can easily make that change if the order is placed over the phone - and we do not charge extra for this.

Most people prefer a single wrap of shooting line, because the second wrap of line is more prone to tangling with the bottom etc. People that are shooting the largest guns in clear blue water (and when freediving in pelagic conditions) more commonly prefer a double wrap because it extends the shooting range which is very beneficial when the visibility is 50 or 150 feet, for example.

Larger, more powerful spearguns can hit with a lot of power at a distance of two wraps of line - so this extra line significantly extends the potential range of the gun. With very short guns there is a significant drop off in power as the distance extends past one wrap and into the two wrap distance.

Selecting the appropriate gun length for the conditions goes a long way to improving effectiveness. In general, shorter guns are easier to swing, faster to aim and easier to load. Longer guns offer increased range, more power and probably better accuracy at considerable distance than a shorter gun.

Also, in very limited visibility, a target pops up into range very quickly and may also move out of visibility very quickly as well and you may not get an opportunity to extend your arm fully. In these conditions, shots have to be made quickly. If you are hunting in 50 feet of visibility, you often have some time to stalk and approach and then aim ( the longer gun). So there are trade offs.

In general, you want the shortest gun that shoots to the limit of the visibility - obviously as visibility extends past 30 or 40 feet, this criterion is no longer attainable.

When diving in limited visibility, there is no benefit (and also some safety considerations) associated with using a gun that can hit something that is further away than you can see. Also, if you are shooting into holes or under ledges frequently, then a short gun is the tool for that application.

So when we discuss visibility, we are measuring how far away we can see something - as measured from our eyes (obviously). When discussing a speargun's range, there can be some ambiguity in how this is measured. I tend to think along the lines of: How far from my EYES can a shoot a fish?

If you apply this idea and understand that a speargun is normally shot with the arm extended with the elbow locked (or nearly so) and also that the speargun is launching the shaft from the far end (muzzle) of the speargun, then distance to target (or "range") is greater.

For example, if I hold my arm straight out, it is maybe 2 feet from my eye to my palm. If the gun is 2.5 feet long from the handle to the front end (muzzle), then the shaft is being launched from around 4.5 feet from my eye. So if the target is 8 feet from my eye, the distance the shaft has to actually move to impact the target is only about 3.5 feet (8 - 4.5).

When you asked about speargun range in the question above you asked the distance as measured from the tip (muzzle of the gun). There is absolutely no problem with framing the question in that manner, but this is where the opportunity for ambiguity may come into play.

Sorry for being so long winded.

Our shafts are made in South Africa and do not include rest tabs.

What visibility are you intending to hunt? If the visibility is around 15 feet, then a 80 or 90 cm gun would probably be the most common size selection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom